• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Antepsin and rantidine together?

Nicola3

Mama Doe
Hello friends:wave:

A couple of weeks ago my boy wasn't right. His droppings were loose as were his caecotrophs and his tummy slowed right down. I'm not sure what caused this but he isn't keen on his greens at the moment. My vet gave him a few days of metronidazole and some metaclopromide. The metronidazole didn't really have any effect so we discontinued that. His tum has settled although he still has the odd soft dropping at the moment. I have noticed he doesn't look comfortable and I think it's his tum.

He had a dental on the 6th march and his teeth have been checked and the vet couldn't see any signs of spurs. He usually goes three months between dentals.

I'm wondering if perhaps he has an ulcer as they can develop due to stasis etc and my boy often has a slow tummy. He has dental probs and hardly eats any hay.

I have started him on a course of ranitidine but somebody I know suggested using antepsin and rantidine together. I'm not sure about using antepsin as I have looked it up on the internet and it says it can cause Bezoars (an insoluble mass formed with the gastric lumen), underlying conditions such as delayed gastric emptying may predispose to bezoar formation. So I'm not sure about using it with my boy. Has anybody else used this with their buns?

I may be barking up the wrong tree with the rantidine but I thought I would give it a go and see if it makes any difference.

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Back