• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Orange urine

gillmanning

Alpha Buck
I've come down this morning and Daisy (16 weeks old) has had some orange/red urine. It doesn't look like blood - just made the sawdust dark orange. Is this normal? She is on antibiotics at the moment. She is very lively and still eating well. Thanks.

Hi the colour of the urine can vary from light to very dark orange or red depending on what she has eaten. I think antibiotics can also affect the colour. As long as there hasn't been an increase or decrease in the frequency of urination or any signs that Daisy is straining to wee , just keep an eye on her, but if it continues to worry you then pop her down to the vet.:)

I notice that you mention that you use sawdust for bedding/ litter tray. It has been discovered that the phenols in sawdust react with urine and give off fumes which can be harmful to rabbits and can lead eventually to respiratory problems. It might be worth considering changing to some other form of bedding.I use Megazorb is a very cheap, very absorbent wood-based litter which is actually an equine product, but if you do a search on the forum for bedding you'll find information and opinions on several others kinds which are also very popular.

Definitely. For those who walk by the wood section of home depot, there is a smell of wood dust constantly, if you work there, it can't be good for your lungs.

Try "Yesterday's news" it's nothing but newspaper in little pieces that absorb urine, and since it's used newspaper, it's very cheap

As to urine changes color, no worries, your bun ate some exotic lately.

One day I panicked like hell because I saw what I thought was blood in the cage. Picked the rabbit up, turning it over checking for wounds before I realised it was urine ;)

Back