• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pregnant mini lop

Scrufox86

Warren Scout
My brothers pregnant mini lop is nesting but she isn't due until monday. Is this normal? She hasn't pulled out any fur yet. How early can rabbits give birth before the 28th day?

Also are dandelions ok for rabbits to eat?

hya dandelions are fine for bunnies.mine love them!:)rabbits are usualy pregnant for 35days or around that mark.perhaps shes just getting herself ready.is it her first litter?x

Yeah it's her first litter. It is only the 23rd day and i thought the minimum was 28 so is it ok for them to be this early? She hasn't pulled out any fur but she keeps changing where the little hole is.

Normally a rabbit has babies between day 28 and 32. If the mum-to-be is used to greens then these are helpful for her milk flow but if she hasnt had them before then perhaps best to wait before introducing them. Dandelions are great for bunnies - dont forget they love the flower heads too!

Louisa

My brother tried gently feeling her stomach to try to feel any marble like objects but her belly just felt hard and there wasn't any round objects found however her teats are out and they weren't before. Usually when she's had a phantom pregnancy her teats were out all the way through it so we take this as a sign she definitely is pregnant. However we are still not 100% sure, could the reason be that there could only be a few kits so they are not sticking out? or maybe they are not big to feel yet?

When the rabbit is nesting really depends on the bunny itself.
Some make nests a week before giving birth, others on the same day (mine started just before she gave birth but kept plucking fur the day after)

Its not always easy to feel the babies, (heck I've never felt any:roll:) she could have a small litter or small babies.

Dandelions are great! My bunnies loves them and my first one nearly lived of them (+ other greens and hay) her first summer:lol:

Hi it is now the 31st day and my brother's rabbit still hasn't given birth. Yesterday she took all the hay she could from her hay rack and took it to her bed area and we even had to put more in. She took a little more of it and then nothing has happened. It's been over 24 hours since she did that behaviour and no fur is present. Is there a problem or will she be having them any time soon? I am beginning to get a little worried as she hasn't eaten anything in the last few days.

keep an eye on her.sometimes they do go off food when their due to give birth but it could also mean a problem.if worried take her to the vets to be on safe side.xx:)

Hi it is now the 31st day and my brother's rabbit still hasn't given birth. Yesterday she took all the hay she could from her hay rack and took it to her bed area and we even had to put more in. She took a little more of it and then nothing has happened. It's been over 24 hours since she did that behaviour and no fur is present. Is there a problem or will she be having them any time soon? I am beginning to get a little worried as she hasn't eaten anything in the last few days.
If she isn't eating take her to the vet ASAP. If a bunny stops eating she can die within 24-48 hours! :shock:

I read somewhere that pregnant rabbits can stop eating when due though and then you have to feed them a lot more because they have to put weight back on. however she is nearly over the 28-31 day expectancy. Is it possible that she can still give birth after that?

Edit: Ok after saying that, she has gone into her bed area and been in there for about 20 minutes. I think it may be time.

Last edited:
I read somewhere that pregnant rabbits can stop eating when due though and then you have to feed them a lot more because they have to put weight back on. however she is nearly over the 28-31 day expectancy. Is it possible that she can still give birth after that?

Edit: Ok after saying that, she has gone into her bed area and been in there for about 20 minutes. I think it may be time.

any babies yet?

No none yet. She came out of the bed half hour after we noticed she'd been in there and my brother checked and there wasn't any fur at all. Can rabbits act like that, they may think they are about to give birth but then realise they aren't quite? This'll be the 32nd day coming up.

Before I had Millie neutered she had a baby she started nesting a week before moving the nest round etc then pulled her fur out when she must have been in labour. There was just an empty nest of hay one night and by the morning a pile of her fur and wriggling babies. She went right up to the 35th day.

Oh right. She still hasn't given birth and the way she's behaving she definitely is. Do you think she may have thought she was going to have them but then realised it was just them moving into position before she eventually does give birth? She is laying in the same place and not eating food still so hopefully she'll give birth at some point today. It is the 32nd day today. 35th is Monday.

Well she did start to give birth but there was a problem. The first one ( we only noticed because it was hanging from her while she was walking in her hutch away from the bed area) was breach and was already dead as she was giving birth. The problem was that it got stuck and she stopped pushing so we took her to the vets right away (after phoning them up for advice). We got told to phone later on as she has to stay in overnight which we did and found out that she had passed the dead one and hasn't yet given birth to the rest (if there are any).

Back