• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rex rabbits-your input for bunny mad magazine article

bunny mad lisa

Mama Doe
hi all
In the October issue of Bunny mad we are covering Rex rabbits in our series of breed articles. So i would like your input please. Write a few words about the characteristics of the rex and what sets them aside from others. please post it her along with your full name so i can credit you if it is used. i would also like some nice pictures which can be sent to bunnymadmagazine@hotmail.co.uk

Last edited:
to give you an idea of the kind of things that are needed here are some extacts from the last article on Netherland dwarfs, recognise anyone!!

Netherland Dwarfs just seem to ooze personality, as other Bunny Mad readers have noted: “We foster a Nethie and he is a feisty little man,” says Karen. “He doesn’t like it if his friend gets attention and seems to battle with himself not to show his kinder side.”

“My Dottie is cute, mad as cheese, bouncy and happy,” says Stephanie Hudson. “She spends hours sleeping under her log tunnel then suddenly jumps and binkies about.” Stephanie says Dottie is a miracle bunny who was very ill as a baby but has turned into a “ray of sunshine”.

Because of their compact features, Netherland Dwarfs can be prone to dental disease such as maloccluded teeth. Helen Shaw has a house rabbit called Squidgy who had his incisors removed at age five, but today he manages fine and growls when he doesn’t get his own way. Alison Anderson has two bonded Dwarfs, Dudley and Santa. Santa is also struggling with advanced dental disease but having a companion who is boisterous and outgoing is helping her to manage.

And even Dwarfs who are feisty or nervous enjoy a cuddle or some loving company. Leanne Lloyd has a lovely black otter dwarf called Liquorice. “She is the quietest rabbit I’ve ever had, very sweet and gentle, and she can hold her own in my bonded group.” Reader Julia lives with Porridge-Banana-Bun and his mate, Lailey. PBB is so called because “he goes mental for bananas or, in fact, any food. But he is the softest, gentlest little bunny. He comes when I call him and is very well behaved. It’s so lovely to wake in the night and look over and see both my buns snuggled up in my room. I really do love them to bits.”

Nothing quite as wonderful as a Blue Rex, the most gentle and loving colour of all the Rexes in my opinion. It is very hard to explain the velvet coat of a rex but once touched never forgotten....thick, plush, velvet

blue-king.jpg

angus-bluebell.jpg

Alice.jpg

blue rexes...me love!!!!
yes, mini rexs will be covered too. please send any photos that you would like including to my email and don't forget your names!

Claude my blue rex is cheeky,intelligent and full of fun he comes when i call him hes very loving and licks your hand when he wants more fuss
1151.jpg

1128.jpg

Hello
000_0586.jpg

Lilac and shadow are a bit more reserved but also very loving and affectionate more so than any other breed of rabbit ive owned once you have stroked a rex rabbit you will never forget x
DSCF0381-1.jpg

DSCF0380.jpg

This is Callisto who I adopted from Fat Fluffs Rescue a few weeks ago.

moto_0135.jpg

She is a harlequin standard rex and a very fiesty rabbit with lots of spirit and very much likes to get her own way, particularly in 'her' space.

We've come to a compromise now which means I have to give her nose and ear rubs in order to get her food bowl from her cage and keep my arm intact...Im quietly confident we will get past this stage once she has been bonded and is mostly free range in the house.

She is incredibly active and needs lots of space and stimulation as she loves to run and binky at a startling speed around the lounge.

Calli is a typical Rex in that she suffers from sore hocks which were quite inflammed when she arrived in rescue. They are vastly improved now (loosing some excess weight helped) and we hope to be able to keep them under control, though they will never be cured.

If anyone is looking for a rabbit that will win over their less bunny enthusiastic partner then I thoroughly recommend a Rex....one touch of that velvet fur and my other half was in love, he even stops by to give her nose rubs when he thinks no-one is watching.

I blame Rexes for my Rabbit addiction !! My very first three Rabbits, Eleanor,Megan and Beatrice were gorgeous Black Otter Rexes.
Over the last 10 years I have been privileged to care for numerous Rexes, all of whom had/have very different personalities. Personally I dont think there is a Rex specific character trait, they are all unique indivdiduals.

In my experience Rexes can *sometimes* be prone to health problems. These include Ulcerative Pododermatitis (sore hocks), Cardiac problems, poor eyesight (mainly the Orange Rexes) and some appear to have an exceptionally sensitive GI tract. I believe all these traits are linked to how intensively inbred the Rex has been. I have had some Rexes with none of the afore mentioned problems and some with all of them !

If I could only ever have one more Rabbit it would most definately be a Rex. They will forever hold a special place in my heart. But there will be noBun to take the place of my extra special Rex Jack ( 1998-2006 )

Jack
rabbits204-1.jpg

Hal
rabbits528.jpg

Sarah
Picture659.jpg

Jake
Picture366.jpg

Lara and Dermot
Picture1754.jpg

Fred
Picture2381.jpg

Zac
Picture2397.jpg

Miss Bunny Penny
Picture1969.jpg

Brian
Picture2005.jpg

Michael
Picture1432.jpg

Esther
Picture2329.jpg

Lizzie and Eddie
Picture296-1.jpg

Inspector Morse
Picture1075.jpg

Colonel Colin
Picture1985.jpg

Lady Lydia
Picture1488.jpg

Sir Victor
Picture2233.jpg

Janex ( O'Callaghan :) )

Sonnet your Merlins identical to our Luna btw...and equally as gorgeous!:love:

Oh twins - bless 'em! :love:

*FAO LISA*
'Merlin is the first Rex that I have owned & although he is the 'Mini' version he has all the traits of the full size one in a small packaging! The silky feel of the Rex coat & the gorgeous curly whiskers make the Rex so endearing. Merlin is by far the soppiest, most affectionate bun I have come across! Be prepared for lots of bunny kisses & licked noses when you get a Rex! Unfortunately I have found him prone to Gut Statis & do feel that as a pedigree rabbit (coming from show stock) it has made him more sensitive to tum problems.
Whoever sees him immediately falls in love with him - particularly when they have never come across a Rex before, so beware before having one purely due to the fact they will not only capture your heart but that of many others too!' Sarah Hibbett (& Merlin the bun) x
036.jpg

thanks sarah, marie and jane!

Jane--what can i say! i knew you loved rexes but never realsied you had shared your life with so many!! they are all gorgeous and i can see i will have to give more space for pictures in my article as there are some good examples of the varieties there!!! can i also have your last name please!

anymore anyone, seems rexes are popular than i realised!!:shock:

thanks sarah, marie and jane!

Jane--what can i say! i knew you loved rexes but never realsied you had shared your life with so many!! they are all gorgeous and i can see i will have to give more space for pictures in my article as there are some good examples of the varieties there!!! can i also have your last name please!

anymore anyone, seems rexes are popular than i realised!!:shock:

Last name is O'Callaghan

Janex :)

This is Poppy:

haybucket003.jpg

poppymail002.jpg

poppymail003.jpg

flake.jpg

poppytea.jpg

she was my first rabbit and it's thanks to her that I got my next two because she compeltely won my heart. She had had quite a sad start in that her previous owners werent very enthusiastic about keeping an animal and left her in a small, rotting hutch on wet grass and gave her no exercise or companionship. she also broke her leg during this time and as no one noticed, it set very crooked. But she doesnt let it bother her and can still race about at alarming speeds - although she does have some soreness on the base of the foot which I keep under control with dermisol cream. When she came to me she would not be touched and it was a battle just getting her out of the hutch to clean it!

But with time she blossomed into a rabbit who just loves human attention and cuddles. Even though she has a rabbit companion now she still loves to sit on my lap for a nose rub. She is also very stubborn and ingenious at getting her own way - particularly when it involves getting to places/food she's not allowed! All visitors to the house comment on her amazing soft fur and delicate features.

Back