• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Herbs, herbs, yummy herbs...!!

podlet

Warren Scout
My bunsters love their herbies..

We're on a bit of a health at the moment and have bought heaps of fresh herbies...

Are there any that our buns can /NOT/ eat?
Probably easier to know what to avoid because I have seen umpteen lists of differing herbs and veg..

podlet, xx

From what I know you should never give them lettuce, only dark green salads. Any herbs are good (my bunny loves basil and carrot tops), but avoid too much parsley as from what I heard it is very high in calcium.
Also ,I know I don't give my bun any veggies that might cause gas as they end up at the vet;s and it can be very painful (I'd rather not tempt it), so all greens like cabbage, sprouts, peppers... etc are out...

There is one type of mint which is bad for them - I think it might be pennyroyal but I'm not sure.

Hi all :wave:

Amy104 - I think I also heard about the pennyroyal mint being bad for buns, but I cannot find it specifically mentioned in the link Diddeen sent through.

Thanks for the tip about the parsley christelle - hadn't heard of that before..

And Diddeen - great links, thanks :D

Interesting it says that buns would like aromatic asparagus. I googled whether buns would like asparagus the other eve because we had too many, and it said that most buns wouldn't eat asparagus because they are too pungent. I threw them in for good measure, and the buns didn't even tough 'em :lol:

Fussy lot :lol: :lol:

No problem!

What is this about some kind of mint being bad for them? Do you know which type? Well I guess I'm removing my mint plant from the balcony when I get back home!!

Back