• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Panacur - do any rabbits actually take it without making a fuss??

Morrigan1981

Mama Doe
Frankie and Jen are both currently on their annual preventative Panacur course and are not enjoying one bit :( I think they both hate me at the moment :(

Does anyone have any tips for making Panacur easier to adminster?

EDIT: Oops, I meant to put this into Care rather than Rabbit Chat :oops:

Upton is in the middle of a course at the moment.
I rest him against my chest looking up at me, one hand over the top of his head to steady it and squirt it into the corner of his mouth.

Are you using the paste?

I have only had one that liked the taste of either although a few would eat the liquid off their dinner.

When Lola came to stay I literally had to wrestle with her (giant) :lol:

Upton is in the middle of a course at the moment.
I rest him against my chest looking up at me, one hand over the top of his head to steady it and squirt it into the corner of his mouth.

Thanks for the post :) That's how I've been adminstrating it to my two as well and although Frankie will sit still and seems OK-ish with it, Jen goes crazy - she's alright when she's on my lap, but the moment she's back on the floor I get the evil eye, then she starts thumping which in turn sets Frankie off and both rabbits start tearing about flicking their feet at me... it's a nightmare and I feel like such a mean mummy :( I can't wait for nine days to be over :rolleyes:

Are you using the paste?

I have only had one that liked the taste of either although a few would eat the liquid off their dinner.

When Lola came to stay I literally had to wrestle with her (giant) :lol:

Yep, it's the paste! TBH, I can sort of see why they hate it so much - it does taste absolutely minging - but I just wish I could get them to take it without all the fuss that comes afterwards! :shock:

Yep, it's the paste! TBH, I can sort of see why they hate it so much - it does taste absolutely minging - but I just wish I could get them to take it without all the fuss that comes afterwards! :shock:

Have you tried wrapping it in a spring green? TBH I've gone beyond pussyfooting around them after all this time, I just burrito them and syringe it straight into the side of the mouth. :lol:

Can't say that in my experience bunnies love it, but I found it easy to administer by just squirting it into the side of their mouths - no messing around.

Thanks everyone. The food idea is a really good one, but unfortunately my two are still on a 'hay only' diet whilst we try and figure out why Frankie is leaving his soft poos (an ongoing saga). It sounds like I'm going to have to just carry on as I have been for now then, and accepting that the buns just aren't going to enjoy it! At least there are only four days left to go! :lol:

I post this video on just about every thread that mentions panacur so i apologize for those that have already been subjected to it... but the benjamin says that he would like other bunnies to know that the panacur is yummy!

so does this mean you've tried eating it:?:shock: lol i havent tried mine with it im still undecided on how worthwhile it is and i know you will all shoot me for saying that but i hate stressing them out.( and before you wonder yes they have been rear gaurded and have had myxi and vhd shots snowy neutered dora is due to be)

so does this mean you've tried eating it:?:shock: lol

Just a little bit :oops: :lol: Actually I only tried it because someone else on here told me that it tasted really bitter, and I wanted to see for myself :lol:

I bet I'm not the only one who has tried it :lol:

Dusty (and Clover when she was around) hated the liquid, but never really had a problem with the paste.

I tried it because Jane had....my arguement being that she was still alive so it couldn't be that bad :lol:

I have the liquid and have been mashing it in with a bit of banana. Its been a week since I started and haven't had any complaints so far, touch wood:rolleyes:

Back