• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cleaning Piggies Grease Glands

elve

Banned
does everyone use swarfega? only I've discovered by accident that baby oil works really well, and it seems less harsh too - doesn't need washing off either :)

most of my boys are fine, but a couple of them get really gunky glands - they're brothers so it's probably genetic :)

does everyone use swarfega? only I've discovered by accident that baby oil works really well, and it seems less harsh too - doesn't need washing off either :)

some one told me to use olive oil but i think that makes it worse I use baby oil instead usually on the older boarders as i only have 10 girlies here

Ooh that's interesting!! I only have girlies, but a couple of them get quite icky. I've never had the bottle to use Swarfega, as it just sounds far too harsh for them. Will definitely try baby oil. :)

Do you just work it in then wash it out? :?

I tried liquid paraffin (I think its the same as baby oil but without the perfume) on one of mine once, but it made more of a mess. I think it depends how bad they are, he was 3 years old and by the looks of it had never been cleaned before :shock:

I found swarfega worked really well on the bad ones, so I just use that automatically now.

Ooh that's interesting!! I only have girlies, but a couple of them get quite icky. I've never had the bottle to use Swarfega, as it just sounds far too harsh for them. Will definitely try baby oil. :)

Do you just work it in then wash it out? :?

I just have several cotton buds soaking in a dish of baby oil when I do the boys grooming, incase their bum bags are impacted :mrgreen: and I noticed Henry's grease gland was a mess one time, gave it a rub with a spare cotton bud soaked in oil, and all the grease fell off that easily :shock: I never wash the oil off afterwards as obviously it's left inside his bum bag and he eats poo from there (can I use the :mrgreen: emoticon twice in one post? :lol:) - just give it a wipe with a baby wipe (those huggies water ones are very pure, or you could use a damp flannel)

:shock::shock::shock: What glands?

where their tail would be if they had one, there's a slightly sticky patch - usually more noticeable in boys than girls - that's the grease gland. A couple of my boys have an 'overactive' grease gland and it gets quite thick with grease, especially as they're long haired and presumably can't clean it themselves as easily :)

Thats one of my favourite jobs cleaning my boars grease glands. . . . .NOT!! I use swarfega. I found the stuff in the Tub was a lot more "gritty" and probably quite harsh on them but the stuff in the bottle is softer, not so gritty and works just as well.

I have never noticed this on my boys, they all must clean but then they are all quite short haired!?! :shock: I suppose they don't all have this problem!

Here's a very dirty grease gland kindly modelled by Max for those of you who aren't too sure what your looking for!

Image007.jpg

I've just sorted my 2 icky pigs' grease glands with baby oil. Thanks v much for the tip, Elve! :D

Back