• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

caring for giants

Abz

New Kit
I am getting a giant bunny. But i need to know where to house it??? Indoor bunny or outdoor trained???? Diet??? Run??? Please help!

I have a Giant Conti house bunny. In or out is your choice but if outdoor you will need a shed not a hutch and a large, high run so bunny can stretch up high. Diet is same as that of any bun tbh. Good quality hay all the time, good high fibre pellets and a range of veg when bun is old enough. Lola does not have a cage in the house as none are big enough for a conti. she is free range and is locked in the kitchen when we are not home.

How old is you bun going to be??

Any more questions please feel free to ask.

Hi there I have two Giants :D

My two are free range 24/7 house buns, they have their own bedroom which they call their own. We have a baby gate across the door. But it is never closed.
Amber & Noel are both litter trained, have access to hay all day and pellets morning and night. They also have veggies/fruit every morning. They have alot of toys such as willow balls to chew and keep their teeth down. I am forever in the charity shops buying 2nd hand baby toys :lol:
Today Noel has mastered the stairs for the first time so its up and down up and down!!! Like a herd of elephants :roll: :lol:

My two have never chewed from what I know, they are both rescue giants.

Amber is 16 months old now and weighs about 7.7 ish and Noel is 2 and a half years old he weighs 5.6kg :D

Giants are a big commitment and need as much space as possible.
In my opinion they should not be kept in a hutch, a shed with a run attached is a great idea if you want out door giants.

There are a few people on the forum that do have outside giants with sheds and they are fantastic.

I hope this is help ful to you.

Good luck :wave:

In my opinion they should not be kept in a hutch, a shed with a run attached is a great idea if you want out door giants.

I agree. Mine are kept in a shed with access to a run.

Amy you are lucky your two do not chew. My two chew EVERYTHING:rolleyes:. Those giant football sized willow balls or those carrot trees last a matter of minutes! :roll::lol:

I agree. Mine are kept in a shed with access to a run.

Amy you are lucky your two do not chew. My two chew EVERYTHING:rolleyes:. Those giant football sized willow balls or those carrot trees last a matter of minutes! :roll::lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I should look to make sure they have teeth then :lol:

I have 2 indoor free range giants. They follow us up to bed at night and sleep under our bed. They are litter trained and at the moment they are asleep under the dining table after a good few hours running around free in the garden.

They eat a ton of pellets and hay, always need toys and tend to throw our shoes around if they're bored :roll:
It's like having 2 quiet dogs around the place (apart from when they are thundering about upstairs!)

I shut them out of the front room when I go out just incase they get wires but apart from that they have the whole house, and whole garden whenever they scratch at the door.

What kind of giant are you getting? I dont have one so cant offer any advice, I just like to dream :oops::oops:

I have a pair of conti giants that live in a 10 x 6 shed with a permanent run attached.
They have several hours free time in the garden every day.
Diet is very much the same as a regular bun, but bigger portions! It's very important that your giant doesn't get overweight as they can be prone to back problems if too heavy.
The most important thing you can do for your giant is invest in really good housing if it's outside, or be prepared to give up a room in your house if they're inside.
They need a good amount of exercise to keep up their muscle tone, and money you invest in good accommodation is potentially money saved from the vets.

This is a photo of my giants shed
2007_0419Image0054.jpg

Hi!

I have forgotten the password to my old account, so this is me (Abz). I am getting a continental giant, but not just yet because i already have 4 dwarfs, i am just researching them so i can get what i need sorted before i buy one. I am having a baby continental giant, not quite sure what age, just young so i can train it to be picked up and stuff.:D Thanks for all your advice people, its been mega helpful! I love the shed and run idea... would a coal shed be big enough?

Back