• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

how can I tell is my bun has been spayed?

muffinsmum

Warren Scout
I re homed a bun from a friend of a friend of one of my hubs works mates, little is known about this bun as the we are the 4th owners, she was first owned by a family who moved and couldn't keep her, she went somewhere else after that and then to a lovely couple who have just had their first baby and asked us if we would take her as they felt they could not give her as much attention as she needs, she has settled down well,is very affectionate and has a lovely temperament, and I was wondering if there are any physical signs of that spaying has taken place? I am hoping to get her to the vets soon, will they be able to tell,?:rabbit2::?: I would hate to have her go under anaesthetic for nothing!

i think the most likely way for your vet to tell would be to shave her tummy and look for a scar. Do you know the areas in which she has lived and the names of previous owners? You could try and piece together a history from ringing different vets. Do you know if she has been vacc'd??

i think the most likely way for your vet to tell would be to shave her tummy and look for a scar. Do you know the areas in which she has lived and the names of previous owners? You could try and piece together a history from ringing different vets. Do you know if she has been vacc'd??

I would like to think so but the bloke at hubs work doesn't know. he says that it was his wife's rabbit, don't sound to hopeful does it! she has also had different names so I am not sure the vets would be able to help me out.

It is difficult with a rescue bun especially knowing if they have been vacc'd etc. I think shaving to see if there is a scar is really the only non invasive way. I may be wrong and i'm sure someone with more experience will be along soon:D

Your vets can use an ultrasound scan to check if her uterus etc is still there, this does however cost nearly as much as a spey :rolleyes:

depending on how long ago it was she was speyed would determine whether she had a scar or not. I had a bun that was thought she hadn't been spayed so booked her in and their was no scar and she had been spayed. I would say the chances of her being spayed would be pretty slim to be honest.

We too had a bunny come in from a trainee vet nurse who'd had her since she was dumped and she'd had a litter since then. But when she came into us we where told that she hadn't been spayed, so we sent her in to be done.

It turned out that she had been done while in the vet nurses care, even though she'd forgotten. :roll::roll: Anyway it was just as well that she had a second spay as the first hadn't been done properly and she needed tidying up inside.

She recovered well and now lives with CarolB :D

We too had a bunny come in from a trainee vet nurse who'd had her since she was dumped and she'd had a litter since then. But when she came into us we where told that she hadn't been spayed, so we sent her in to be done.

It turned out that she had been done while in the vet nurses care, even though she'd forgotten. :roll::roll: Anyway it was just as well that she had a second spay as the first hadn't been done properly and she needed tidying up inside.

She recovered well and now lives with CarolB :D

How do you forget something like that? And a VN at that :lol:I'm not sure I ever could, all the hours of worry and waiting for that phonecall.

Back