• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Just had a call ref lady with 2 surprise litters - U/D with pics

Julia123

Warren Veteran
Hi

I've just had a call from my vet to say that they have been contacted by a lady who was sold 2 'male' rabbits....

Mum had 4 kits 5 weeks ago and one died. The lady separtated the boy - but not soon enough. Mum has had another 6 kits.

I am calling the lady at lunchtime to help and am able to go and see her if need be. I would think the 5 wk olds still need to be with mum, but will she be able to give the new babies anough milk if she is feeding them all?

ALL thoughts and advice welcome

Many thanks

Last edited:
I suppose they are designed to do this, so just give mum extra greens and water,and make sure she has all the hay she needs. The 5 week old kits shouls start to nibble pellets soon now anyway so that should take a load off. Maybe suggest a mesh divide so the older ones only get 1 feed a day?

I'm going to see her after work. I have been advised to separate the 5 wks old kits as she may kill the newborns if she feels she can't cope.

The lady seems really nice and was let down by the breeder where she got her bunnies. She seems to want to look after them but I said we can help with re-homing when they are old enough and I can take a spare hutch for the young kits if needs be, or take them, whatever she wants. I'll obviolusy advise on food etc and neutering.

Anything else I've missed?

The 5 week olds will have to be split away from mum, in the wild they would be fully weaned and she would just 'kick them out' to feed the new babies.

They should be fully weaned now but being away from mum so young will still of course affect their development and put them at a higher risk of gastrointestinal infections however its the best option.

Don't think so. Wouldn't the 5 week old ones still need mum's presence in an ideal world even if they got no milk?
I suppose they sell them in pet shops at that old though. :(

Good luck with them. :)

I went to see the lady and the bunnies, mum was very stressed and not coping. After discussion I have taken the 5 wk babies, Its far from ideal but I don't believe the new day old kits would have survived otherwise. I have them indoors (on my kitchen table in an indoor 4ft hutch). They are eating hay and i've given them the last few bits of excel junior i have mixed with some adult excel - will get some more junior tomorrow and also drop some in for Mum. Anything else I can do? I think they are too young for probiotoc...?

Anyhow, here are some pics....

1-1.jpg

2-1.jpg

3-1.jpg

4-1.jpg

5-1.jpg

I think there are two girls and a boy... will be looking for homes in a couple of months....

aww well done. It sounds like you've done bunny mummy a huge favour. The babies are gorgeous!!! :love: that poor mum. at least you managed to speak to the lady and give her some advice

They really are sweethearts, I'm obviously worried about their age so any advice welcome. My priority is keeping them warm and fed and watered, Is there a suppliment i can give them?

We got our two boys at about 5 weeks old after their mum had died when they were two weeks old. We continued to give them warm goats milk for a couple of weeks and then gradually weaned them off it. We did syringe feed them but if they would lap it from a bowl that would be easier. I think I remember which thread mentioned a supplement, I'll go and look. Good luck!

Actually Julia probiotics will probably do their little tummies a favour by helping to build up good gut flora.....weanling age is the time when most are lost to gut infections :cry::cry:

Actually Julia probiotics will probably do their little tummies a favour by helping to build up good gut flora.....weanling age is the time when most are lost to gut infections :cry::cry:

As is typical with me, I can't find the blinkin stuff :roll: Will have to try and get some more tomorrow, any particular one better? I had a powder that turned the water green before...

:wave:hi, i have some bio lapsis in my cupboard if that helps, maybe someone with more experience will advise if this product is suitable.:D

:wave:hi, i have some bio lapsis in my cupboard if that helps, maybe someone with more experience will advise if this product is suitable.:D

Really :D:D:D My vet has just quoted me £30 as I would need to buy a whole box of 15.... where are you in Brum? Are you able to 'donate' some for the little ones? :wave::wave:

Back