• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Megacolon/cowpile syndrome re:sausage poo thread

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Differential/mega_differential.htm

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8822192?dopt=Abstract

From 'Notes on Rabbit Internal Medicine' :

Whilst the caecum is the usual site of impactation, megacolon, a condition where the colon is full of chronically accumulated faeces in large clumps, has been reported.

The cause of this condition is not known, but it may affect white Rabbits with dark ears and spots disproportionately commonly

This megacolon syndrome, described in homozygous spotted Rabbits, results in caecal obstipation, but there is uncertainty whether this is a true dysautonomia.

Dysautonomia- Similar to grass sickness in horses. Other autonomic signs eg mydriasis, reduced tear production and salivation. Diagnosed at histopathology after Post Mortem.

Janex :)

Thank you so much for this info guys...ive been searching too but its so hard to find any decent information. Earl is obviously that colouring and his poo's have been covered in mucous since he arrived. Hes also underweight and often produces this runny stuff too. Weve been so concerned but the vet cant find any problems at all...this is definitely something to consider seriously and talk to him about

Ill post if i find anything

Thank you so much for this info guys...ive been searching too but its so hard to find any decent information. Earl is obviously that colouring and his poo's have been covered in mucous since he arrived. Hes also underweight and often produces this runny stuff too. Weve been so concerned but the vet cant find any problems at all...this is definitely something to consider seriously and talk to him about

Ill post if i find anything

Harry responded well to SALAZOPYRIN at a dose of 10-15mg/kg twice daily. He too had symptoms similar to what Earl's sound like

Janex

I'm so worried. :( What I thought was a slow gut caused by a bout of stasis is this disease it seems. I always knew Dougal had a funny digestion and he gets tummy aches, I keep a close eye to make sure he doesn't go into stasis, I catch it before it does. *touch wood*
I guess that's one of the problems with rescue buns, you can't know their histories :(

But now with summer coming and him doing these sticky poos I worry he's at greater risk from fly strike. :(:( The huge poos are ok, but he does really sloppy ones too.

I wonder how many other people on this forum have buns that fit this description...... :(:(

DSCN1102-1.jpg

Oh Siona, im so sorry about Dougal:( My thoughts are with him, i do hope him and Earl will be ok...I wonder how many others there are too...Id never heard of this before until a few days ago, i bet others havent either

It makes me angry bunnies of this colouration are still being produced to be totally honest

Dougals a little beauty btw

Last edited:
Harry responded well to SALAZOPYRIN at a dose of 10-15mg/kg twice daily. He too had symptoms similar to what Earl's sound like

Janex

Thanks for that, I'll bring it up with my vet too. :)

Maxi, I hope Earl will be ok too, it's hard to know what treatments are available when there are so few bits of info. :(

Earl is very bad today:( Its so difficult to know what to do...he is the most perfect house bunny ever, much better behaved indoors than our other buns...but these poo's, theyre everywhere, and theres runny diarrhoea everywhere which smells and its just not hygienic:( I refuse to put him outside though (i really want to keep a cloe eye on him as much as possible) but its very difficult to live with at the moment...guess i just needed to vent and check no-one has anymore info at all...I really hope we can fix this so its more manageable...poor, poor fellow:(

Re the flystrike issue. For rabbits that are at risk you can treat with special stuff that stops any fly eggs developing to the dangerous stage. The name escapes me at the moment but I'm sure someone will know. It's a prescription only medicines you get from the vets.

Tam

Earl is very bad today:( Its so difficult to know what to do...he is the most perfect house bunny ever, much better behaved indoors than our other buns...but these poo's, theyre everywhere, and theres runny diarrhoea everywhere which smells and its just not hygienic:( I refuse to put him outside though (i really want to keep a cloe eye on him as much as possible) but its very difficult to live with at the moment...guess i just needed to vent and check no-one has anymore info at all...I really hope we can fix this so its more manageable...poor, poor fellow:(

Has your Vet sent a poo sample off for analysis?
Have you spoken to Vet about the Salazopyrin?

Janex

Which kinds of flies cause flystrike?
Despite rigorous cleaning there are tons round the run but only one or two big ones like blue or green bottles, and definitely only saw one blowfly (big black one) Most are the little skinny ones that irritate horses in the summer, they were everywhere and seemed really dozey.
Dougal also seemed to be attracting thunder bugs today, his fur was covered in them. :roll:

Aww, so sorry :( I hope he gets better soon.

Which kinds of flies cause flystrike?
Despite rigorous cleaning there are tons round the run but only one or two big ones like blue or green bottles, and definitely only saw one blowfly (big black one) Most are the little skinny ones that irritate horses in the summer, they were everywhere and seemed really dozey.
Dougal also seemed to be attracting thunder bugs today, his fur was covered in them. :roll:

http://www.galensgarden.co.uk/herbivores/health/flystrike.php

Janex :)

Reading this Im sure Lenny who came in as a foster bunny has this :( Some days he is fine and others he passes soft sausage shaped poops and some more soft. He eats loads of hay :) We have decided to keep him and he now runs round the house at his leisure. Ill shall mention this to my vets. Thanks for the info :D

I seem to remember that megacolon is something that can be diagnosed by x-ray, because the guts become distended and sausage-like...although I'm sure there are other illnesses that probably have the same effect on the guts.

Back