• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

guinea pig neuter question

my vet said 5 weeks but I left it 8 as I already had 20 and was too scared to risk more suprise litters :)

My vet said 4-5 weeks, but he also said that he knew of a rabbit that had mated successfully 4 weeks post neuter. So I would leave it at least 5 weeks to be on the safe side.:)

i was told 4 weeks by the vet when star was done, i go on the guinea pig forum, and someone on there who is a rescue says she had been told by her vet only waits 2 weeks, which she does and has never had a pregnant piggie (can't remember who it was now). She said vets are over precaucious with their length of times to be safe.

My vet said 4-5 weeks, but he also said that he knew of a rabbit that had mated successfully 4 weeks post neuter. So I would leave it at least 5 weeks to be on the safe side.:)

rabbits do have to wait longer than piggies for some reason - I'd always leave it 8wks with rabbits :)

:wave:Hi Faye

My friend Louise checked with the Cavy Trust before introducing ex Honeypigs Diesel and Boris to their new wives, they recommended 4 weeks and there were no resulting piglets from either 'marriage':)

Ange

thanks for the replies - I've read that it's medically impossible after 4 weeks... so I'll be introducing Ravy to the girls some time after the 8th May :shock: wish me luck - he's feisty! :lol:

I will wish the girls luck rather :lol: neutering doesn't decrease 'the urge' in guinea pigs at all - he will be a luuuuurve machine I'm sure :roll:

Back