• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit had babies

Rabbiting on

Warren Scout
My rabbit had her babies they will be 2 weeks this Tuesday, she had started to pull the inside of the roof off and putting it in the nest. I had bought some of the cotton bedding and because of the rain its got a little damp. So last week I bought a new hutch and today I have moved mother and babies into the new hutch with new bedding.

Have I done the right thing?

Mother rabbit has pulled some of the bedding out and left the little ones a little exposed, I have covered them back over and moved them to the back of the bed box, they are all fine and doing well. Why would she be doing this?

I know it will be a bit strange for her at the moment and I hope I have done the right thing in moving them out of their damp dirty old bedding?

Mother does not mind me handeling the babies.

What type of cotton? You need to be careful as some types of bedding can get wrapped around babies limbs and cut off circulation. Plenty of hay is good for nesting and mum may pull out extra fur.

The babies will have their eyes open soon (if they don't already) and soon being running around :)

Its more like wool.

Yes the babies have their eyes open, all limbs moving. When will they be able to stand and walk?

At what age can I take them for a vet check and will mum have to come?

They'll be walking within the next couple of days. Probably following mum about and nibbling on hay by the end of the week. They develop very quickly!

Unless you've noticed a problem then you don't really need a vet trip until 6-8 weeks for the vet to sex them. If mum is living with them when you do the vet trip then yes take her, if it's after you've seperated them then no need to take mum. Unless you're thinking of spaying her in which case she'd need a pr-op vet check anyway.

Tamsin

No mum is not getting spayed, Im taking Stuie my male for his pre op check to be neutered this week. I dont want to wait till she has weened the babies so getting Stuie done asap so no miss haps can happen.

That sounds like a good plan :) By the time the babies need to be separated he'll be safe to live with mum :)

The babies will be beginning to nibble their nest now as they start to wean onto solid food. Personally I would remove all the cotton wool bedding you have put in as soon as possible.

Back