PDA

View Full Version : Has Excel Changed - Please Help

Kirsty&Lola
20-04-2008, 10:07 PM
Just bought a new huge bag of Excel pellets for Lola. Normally she goes CRAZY for them. I was opening the bag and she was doing her usual running around but when i put the bowl down she sniffed and walked away. She's eating loads of hay and veg so its not like she's poorly. She's now begging in the kitchen for more pellets even though she has a bowl full.

Has anyone else noticed a change in Excel pellets recently??

clutterydrawer
20-04-2008, 10:10 PM
I opened a new bag and they felt different in texture and I noticed a lot were weirdly clumped together - but I wondere if it was just cos my old bag had been open a long time and gone "stale" :?

Has anyone got an old bag and a new bag to compare nutrition info?

bunny mad lisa
20-04-2008, 10:12 PM
ah!! 2 out of 7 of my bunnies won't eat it either!! I have i even opened a new bag of it but they still don't want to know! I have had to resort to giving them a mix which they are eating! i wonder if they have changed the ingredients?

Kirsty&Lola
20-04-2008, 10:12 PM
i wish i had kept the old bag to have a look. they are rounder shaped i think. they looked different when i opened the bag. Lola is currently throwing a paddy in the kitchen but i keep telling her she's just going to get used to it for now because i can't go to the shop now:roll:

Lauralou
20-04-2008, 10:15 PM
i got a new bag of the junior/dwarf a couple of weeks back and i definately noticed they'd changed in appearance. i didn't think to compare info on the bags though.

fat boy wasn't bothered though, still wolfs them down!

Kirsty&Lola
20-04-2008, 10:17 PM
its very strange that Lola has turned her nose up at them. she loves them so much. she's really not happy at the minute. looks like i may be going shopping for other brands tomorrow:roll:

Doncat5
20-04-2008, 10:20 PM
its very strange that Lola has turned her nose up at them. she loves them so much. she's really not happy at the minute. looks like i may be going shopping for other brands tomorrow:roll:

P@H pellets are very similar to Excell.... or maybe nows the time to switch to SS. :)

holidayhutch
20-04-2008, 10:23 PM
I got a bag the other day and they seem more gritty in texture with more stuff stuck to them. We've got some aboarders here for 7 weeks and they were eating the old bag fine but wont touch this new stuff:?

Kirsty&Lola
20-04-2008, 10:27 PM
the only reason we havent changed before is that she loves the excel pellets and they don't upset her tummy at all. Looks like we are going to change now though. She's just picked at a few but left the rest. VERY strange for Lola. Normally she would do ANYTHING for her pellets. Does anyone know anywhere in the Doncaster area that sells big bags of SS, like 10kg bags?

holidayhutch
20-04-2008, 10:46 PM
There's a place in Rotherham Kirsty if that's any good, we get our big sacks of SS from there. Dont worry either about bringing food here for her, it's included in the price, just let me know what you are feeding her on:D

Kirsty&Lola
20-04-2008, 10:56 PM
There's a place in Rotherham Kirsty if that's any good, we get our big sacks of SS from there. Dont worry either about bringing food here for her, it's included in the price, just let me know what you are feeding her on:D

aww thats really great, i was going to pack her up with food aswell. She is picking at the pellets but eating loads of hay instead which isnt a bad thing. If they don't grow on her ill try changing to SS:D

holidayhutch
20-04-2008, 11:00 PM
No probs, you only need Lola, her vaccination certs and any toys she might like to bring with her, everything else is provided. If you want us to pick you up a large sack of SS whilst you're away that's no problem and you can pay us when you get back.

Kirsty&Lola
20-04-2008, 11:07 PM
No probs, you only need Lola, her vaccination certs and any toys she might like to bring with her, everything else is provided. If you want us to pick you up a large sack of SS whilst you're away that's no problem and you can pay us when you get back.

Thanks so much. I'll definately let you know if we need some getting. She is currently laying next to the half full bowl and looking at me in disgust:roll::lol:

*Bex*
20-04-2008, 11:31 PM
The bunnies still eat them fine, but i noticed there is some stuck together in clumps, which i haven't noticed before

March Hare
20-04-2008, 11:48 PM
Timmy won't TOUCH any from my new bag, and Lola, Petie, and Suzy have only been eating about a third of theirs. :?

Kirsty&Lola
20-04-2008, 11:55 PM
Timmy won't TOUCH any from my new bag, and Lola, Petie, and Suzy have only been eating about a third of theirs. :?

Thats like what Lolas doing. Ive brought the bowl into the living room and she's nibbled at a few but usually she doesnt move until the bowl is empty. Very strange:? She's eating hay so i know she won't starve i just feel mean because she used to really look forward to her pellets.

Siona
21-04-2008, 12:02 AM
I found my last batch were not as nice smelling, they used to smell sort of minty, but these didn't. I tried P@H nuggets this time and they like these. They smell nice too! :)

Rallybunny
21-04-2008, 08:56 AM
This sounds very similar to what happened to SS a while back. :?

muffinsmum
21-04-2008, 09:02 AM
I have just been given 2 big sacks of these as someone else's bun would not eat them any more.....mine don't seem to mind! :) these are priced at 6.99 a bag so that's saved me a few pennies! :D

March Hare
21-04-2008, 09:03 AM
Thats like what Lolas doing. Ive brought the bowl into the living room and she's nibbled at a few but usually she doesnt move until the bowl is empty. Very strange:? She's eating hay so i know she won't starve i just feel mean because she used to really look forward to her pellets.

Sounds VERY familiar! :roll: Petie, Lola, and Suzy usually fall all over themselves - and each other! - trying to get to the bowl fast, and sit there and eat.....and eat.....and EAT! They come rushing to the bowl now.....but then sniff and walk away. It has really upset me, as they have always enjoyed it SO much. If they don't start eating it and actually ENJOYING it a bit more by the end of the week, I think I am going to try mixing a few SS pellets in with it to see if that helps any. :( :(

Kirsty&Lola
21-04-2008, 09:42 AM
Sounds VERY familiar! :roll: Petie, Lola, and Suzy usually fall all over themselves - and each other! - trying to get to the bowl fast, and sit there and eat.....and eat.....and EAT! They come rushing to the bowl now.....but then sniff and walk away. It has really upset me, as they have always enjoyed it SO much. If they don't start eating it and actually ENJOYING it a bit more by the end of the week, I think I am going to try mixing a few SS pellets in with it to see if that helps any. :( :(

Its hard isn't it when they have enjoyed it so much. it really was the highlight of Lolas day. She has eaten the bowl this morning but not with the usual gusto:roll: i shall wait and see. I don't think changing things for her very often because she has been known to have an upset tummy in the past

Witchy
21-04-2008, 12:36 PM
Been trying to get hold of a large bag of Excel for a while now and its been delayed coming in - bought two small bags as a last resort and noticed there were clumps of mixture in them rather than pellets.

Soots and Sweepy are eating them as normal though, Opal and Gem are too..... hmm odd :roll:

Kirsty&Lola
21-04-2008, 12:39 PM
it is more lumpy than usual and the pellets are different shapes. She has resorted to eating it now, after just sniffing it all night:roll:

sdf76
21-04-2008, 01:36 PM
I phoned Burgess on freephone 0800 413 969 about super rabbit excel
just now and they say they have not changed the recipe.
However they are concerned to hear some people's rabbits no longer want to eat it, (I did not mention any names or forum name) and ask you to send a small sample in a plastic bag stating the batch number and place of purchase to the following freepost address:

Burgess Supafeeds
Victory Mill
Pickering
N.Yorks
Freepost YO36

YO18 7ZZ

They will analyse it and will reimburse you if you give your name and address
Sue:)

Kirsty&Lola
21-04-2008, 01:37 PM
I phoned Burgess on freephone 0800 413 969 about super rabbit excel
just now and they say they have not changed the recipe.
However they are concerned to hear some people's rabbits no longer want to eat it, (I did not mention any names or forum name) and ask you to send a small sample in a plastic bag stating the batch number and place of purchase to the following freepost address:

Burgess Supafeeds
Victory Mill
Pickering
N.Yorks
Freepost YO36

YO18 7ZZ

They will analyse it and will reimburse you if you give your name and address
Sue:)

That is FAB! thankyou! I am a little concerned if they havent changed anything:? would be nice to have an answer. Thank's again

clutterydrawer
21-04-2008, 01:38 PM
Ummmm it blatantly says on my bag "new improved recipe", how can they deny they've changed it?!

sdf76
21-04-2008, 02:12 PM
Well - lady I spoke to at Burgess did say the person who normally answers the phone queries was away for the week, but as far as she knew they hadn't changed the recipe. She is a very helpful lady- do ring the free helpline and query this.

(I think perhaps the "new" recipe has been out a while? and not just the latest bags?). She also said that there are seasonal variances in the grasses they use which might give different smells /tastes.

She is genuinely interested in hearing from customers so do please ring the freephone number.-Sue:)

Kirsty&Lola
21-04-2008, 02:43 PM
Well - lady I spoke to at Burgess did say the person who normally answers the phone queries was away for the week, but as far as she knew they hadn't changed the recipe. She is a very helpful lady- do ring the free helpline and query this.

(I think perhaps the "new" recipe has been out a while? and not just the latest bags?). She also said that there are seasonal variances in the grasses they use which might give different smells /tastes.

She is genuinely interested in hearing from customers so do please ring the freephone number.-Sue:)

Its true that they may have changed it a while ago. We buy 10kg bags which last us a couple of months which may explain things. I'm going to send them a letter documenting our experience. She is eating bits of it so i wouldnt expect a refund but like you said they may want to know about reactions to it etc.

bunny mad lisa
21-04-2008, 02:44 PM
thanks for ringing Burgess! i shall send a sample off as my 2 won't touch it! i had to give them some ordinary mix which they are eating but i think i might try the SS.

Jocelyn
21-04-2008, 02:48 PM
The last bag I bought of the 'light' stuff smells like plastic :?

norrielian
21-04-2008, 02:50 PM
Mine seems the same and the bunnies still love it.

Fifibutton
21-04-2008, 02:51 PM
Is this the ordainary dark green bag of excel?
I feed my lot lite to keep the from getting too fat and it also has a higher fibre content.

Missy
21-04-2008, 02:55 PM
This is strange as lately my two haven't been interested in their Excel pellets either, I just thought they weren't as hungry. :roll:

carmen
21-04-2008, 03:31 PM
A nice old gentleman from the Rabbit Association (or something similar) recommended us that we mix the Rabbit Excell with the Guinea Pigs one (or Chinchilas? It's the orange bag with Vitamin C in it)

The bunnies love the mix. I only put 1/5 orange in the mix but it goes down a treat. :lol:

JayUK
21-04-2008, 03:38 PM
This happened to us a few months ago, we went from him eating it fine, then suddenly, no interest, and was adamant. I used the opportunity to switch to SS, and haven't looked back.
I know Excel don't give every bunny the potential for runny poos, but he has gone from 1 a week to 2 in 8 months.

Kirsty&Lola
21-04-2008, 03:41 PM
This happened to us a few months ago, we went from him eating it fine, then suddenly, no interest, and was adamant. I used the opportunity to switch to SS, and haven't looked back.
I know Excel don't give every bunny the potential for runny poos, but he has gone from 1 a week to 2 in 8 months.

we are considering changing her but she gets on well with Excel and i havent had a reason to change until now. I'm going to give her a few days as she is eating them but not enjoying them.

Justine
21-04-2008, 04:20 PM
Both of my buns don't seem as keen on my new bag of Pets@ home pellets, which are apparantly the same as Excell.

Flip Flop doesn't seem to eat any.:?

jane28
21-04-2008, 06:38 PM
Mine are still eating the Excel pellets fine... And they are fussy about their food, but the bowl is always empty when i go in the morning, not noticed any changes though :?

clutterydrawer
24-04-2008, 07:22 PM
Ok even poppy is going off the new excel now and she's the world's third greediest bunny. :?

Kirsty&Lola
24-04-2008, 07:36 PM
Ok even poppy is going off the new excel now and she's the world's third greediest bunny. :?

its worrying isnt it. Lola has started eating them again but i have still sent a sample to the company so we might get some answers regarding the changes made.

Hugbut
24-04-2008, 07:51 PM
I noticed the excel pellets have changed shape...the news ones are slightly thinnner & a bit lighter in colour than the old ones i think :?

armstronski
24-04-2008, 09:09 PM
I have just opened a new bag and the texture definitely seems different. Also the last batch I bought had the minty smell that a previous post mentioned. Amber and Bob are still eating it but not as readily as before.:?

mrs munkee
24-04-2008, 09:25 PM
oh great :roll:. my bag of excell will run out in a week or so. If i'm gonna have to change them over to something else, i better start now :?

BunnyBekkie
24-04-2008, 09:58 PM
I have a massive 10kg bag of excel and I noticed they feel softer than usual. Bunnies don't seem to care though.