• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help And Advice Needed!

Charm

Young Bun
Hi I am looking for advice. Went to let one of my pair of rabbits out for his daily exercise today and he was sitting huddled up. He never left his hutch although the female partner did. Normally he binkies up and down so he obviously is not well. He has not eaten all day. I recently changed their foot from Wagg Bunny Basics over to Allen and Page and although all of my six rabbits have been eating it I have noticed they have all lost a bit of weight especially him???? I am very worried now.:(

Hi I am looking for advice. Went to let one of my pair of rabbits out for his daily exercise today and he was sitting huddled up. He never left his hutch although the female partner did. Normally he binkies up and down so he obviously is not well. He has not eaten all day. I recently changed their foot from Wagg Bunny Basics over to Allen and Page and although all of my six rabbits have been eating it I have noticed they have all lost a bit of weight especially him???? I am very worried now.:(

If your rabbit has not eaten all day he needs to see a vet ASAP tonight.

Rabbits digestive systems are not designed for not eating, if they dont eat they need to be hydrated and their gut filled by syringe feeding, the vet will need to give them a gut stimulant and maybe inject saline / hartmans to rehydrate them.

Is he pooing ?

Rabbits will stop eating for a number of reasons, usually it is as a result of something else, such as dental problems, sudden change in food or other reasons.

Please do contact your vet now as rabbits normally do not show that they are ill unless there is a serious problem.

I don't know if he has pooed today as I let them out and then went into the house. I kept looking into the garden through my window and the female was out as normal and I thought he was out. When I went to check he he was still sitting in his hutch. I brought him in and petted him but he just sat very quietly in my lap which is unheard of for him as he does not like being picked up.

I would get on the phone to the out of hours vet right away, I don't think it's wise to leave it until tomorrow to get your rabbit checked. Hope all turns out okay.

Just to echo what's been said already - unfortunately you need to contact an emergency vet. Hope all goes well.

As the above posters have already said - bunny needs to be seen by a bunny savvy vet immediately.

I have had four of my buns over the past 6 weeks have the same thing happen and I am glad to say that because we got them to the vet within a few hours of a change, they suffered no ill effects and were soon back to normal.

You mustn't delay!

Right just back from my vets. She gave him 3 injections. She said his tummy felt quite hard and she thought he looked asif he was malnourished. I told her all six of my rabbits ate the same food and none of the rest had this problem. Although he has always been quite thin but very healthy. Anyway we managed to pipe some recovery food into his mouth which he seemed to quite like. Now he is back in his hutch with his mate so I will feed him early tomorrow and see how he is. If all is well she wants to see him tomorrow morning. I cant thank you enough for your help.:)

Right just back from my vets. She gave him 3 injections. She said his tummy felt quite hard and she thought he looked asif he was malnourished. I told her all six of my rabbits ate the same food and none of the rest had this problem. Although he has always been quite thin but very healthy. Anyway we managed to pipe some recovery food into his mouth which he seemed to quite like. Now he is back in his hutch with his mate so I will feed him early tomorrow and see how he is. If all is well she wants to see him tomorrow morning. I cant thank you enough for your help.:)

Can you bring him and his mate indoors, if it is cold tonight and he is dehydrated will not help him and may put him into shock. Being in a warmer place there is more chance that he will get up and move about. Warmth also helps to relieve some of the pain in the abdomen ..... a snugglesafe is good for this.

Tomorrow can you get some infacol, that is good to help in situations like this on top of the medication that the vet has given. 1 ml every couple of hours helps relieve some of the gas which may be in the stomach which can make it hard and distended. If there is no gas it wont do any harm.

Getting him to move about, whilst sounding cruel will help move some of the gastric contents as well.

Last edited:
I have bedded them down for the night now and put plenty of fresh hay in. They are a devoted pair and they snuggled right in together. Can I ask what Shick is??? Meant to say my buns are all kept in a shed.

Last edited:
I have bedded them down for the night now and put plenty of fresh hay in. They are a devoted pair and they snuggled right in together. Can I ask what Shick is???

Sory spelling mistake, I meant where they get shocked. It is where the body gets cold and his circulating volumn is inadequate for him due to poor circulating volume due to dehydration. The blood supply goes to the main organs only. this also can also happen due to cardiac failure.

Right I was wondering what the heck it was lol! Anyway they are quite warm in the shed and are used to being outside. If I brought them in then had to put them back out I think it would be more harmful to them. I will let you all know how he is tomorrow. Thanks again.:wave:

Last edited:
Morning Everybody,

Well went down to the shed this morning fearing the worse and guess what? Was greeted by this normal happy little bunny:wave: He jumped straight out of his hutch and ran around the hut asif to say, "Whats all the fuss about". He's back to his cheeky little self again. I am still going to take him back today to get him another check but I am hoping whatever it was is over. Thanks again for all your help:D

when you give a new type of food, you have to mix it w/ the old one, like this:

1st week: 70% old type of rabbit food, 30% new type of rabbit food

2nd week, 50% each

3rd week: 30% old type, 70% new type

4th week: 100% new

Rabbit stomach cannot adjust to a total new type of rabbit food, their digestive system is sensitive

Thanks for the info but I already knew this and did that. Whatever happened to him came right out of the blue!! Just been told its gonna cost me £103.00 for last night::(:(:(

Thanks for the info but I already knew this and did that. Whatever happened to him came right out of the blue!! Just been told its gonna cost me £103.00 for last night::(:(:(

My emergency vets is £98 upfront just to go to the surgery and be seen :shock::shock::shock:

Well he's been binkying round the garden this afternoon like a spring lamb:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: it was a joy to watch him:lol::lol::lol:

Back