• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Jane or others with 3 legged buns

Pipstrel

Mama Doe
Jake has finally arrived today!

His leg sticks out quite a lot and he doesn't use it at all he just carries it along with him and gets it caught on things :(

Apart from not being able to clean his ear is there anything else that he might not be able to do?

How and how often do I need to clean his ear for him?

Any advice much appreciated.

He's going in for his neuter on wednesday so will speak to the vet about his leg then too.

Helen x

Hiya

I check Harry's ears every day. If your Vet suggests amputation of the sticky-out leg I'd ask for an Xray of his hips first ( assuming the sticky-out leg is a hind limb) Sometimes a Bun can have problems with both hips, even if only one leg appears deformed. Amputating if *both* hips have problems would not be a good idea. But if all is well hip-wise I feel sure Jake will do better without a useless leg than he does with it, especially if he keeps getting the leg caught up in things.

I dont know what you are bedding him on ? I'd suggest Vetbed as hay may get tangled around his deformed leg.

Janex :)

Hiya

I check Harry's ears every day. If your Vet suggests amputation of the sticky-out leg I'd ask for an Xray of his hips first ( assuming the sticky-out leg is a hind limb) Sometimes a Bun can have problems with both hips, even if only one leg appears deformed. Amputating if *both* hips have problems would not be a good idea. But if all is well hip-wise I feel sure Jake will do better without a useless leg than he does with it, especially if he keeps getting the leg caught up in things.

I dont know what you are bedding him on ? I'd suggest Vetbed as hay may get tangled around his deformed leg.

Thanks Jane. I was going to ask the vet to do an Xray whilst he's under fot his neuter. To be honest looking at him and feeling his spine I think he may actually be a bit too lopsided to amputate but that was my first thought. It seems as tho his spine is a bit twisted from maybe 2 3rds down.

What am I checking for in his ears and do I just clean then with cotton wool or should I use saline or anything?

Thanks

Helen x

Thanks Jane. I was going to ask the vet to do an Xray whilst he's under fot his neuter. To be honest looking at him and feeling his spine I think he may actually be a bit too lopsided to amputate but that was my first thought. It seems as tho his spine is a bit twisted from maybe 2 3rds down.

What am I checking for in his ears and do I just clean then with cotton wool or should I use saline or anything?

Thanks

Helen x

Just check for a build-up of wax. Your Vet may be able to suggest an ear cleaning solution that you can use a few times a week if necessary. Dont poke anything into the ear canal. Just clear away any superficial wax

:wave: Hugo's There has two or three or so buns with 3 legs, I'm sure i you pm'd her she'd be only too happy to give you her experiences with them x

We used to clean Florence's ear (just the one - as she could clean the other with the remaining hind leg!) once a week - just with a wet finger - make sure you do not have long or sharp nails (urrgghh you think!! but its safer than a small cotton bud!!).

Your finger is the best cleaning tool. I'd recommend having a good poke around inside the ear daily...or at least a couple of times a week.

I personally wouldn't recommend having him on thick vetbed (unless he has problems with incontinence). My 3 legged bun found it too springy to walk on properly. Fleece blankets are better, and are easily washable.

Good luck...he sounds gorgeous :D

Amy

Your finger is the best cleaning tool. I'd recommend having a good poke around inside the ear daily...or at least a couple of times a week.

I personally wouldn't recommend having him on thick vetbed (unless he has problems with incontinence). My 3 legged bun found it too springy to walk on properly. Fleece blankets are better, and are easily washable.

Good luck...he sounds gorgeous :D

Amy

Thanks for your advice, I'll keep an eye on his ear (not literally obviously :roll:).

He's got vet bed in at the moment but once they are in the playhouse together it will have lino and carpet. He races around on the carpet in the study, I can't believe how fast he is!!

I would imagine that if the vet doesn't think she should amputate I'll have to make door and ramps and things wider to accomodate his leg.

Do you think he'll be able to cope with ramps (i'll obviously box them in so he can't fall off them). I don't want to stop Piper and Minstrel from being happy, they love running around up and down ramps but I also don't want him to hurt himself.

To be honest not having seen photos before I got him I didn't realise his leg stuck out quite so much, poor boy :(

Helen x

He's got vet bed in at the moment but once they are in the playhouse together it will have lino and carpet. He races around on the carpet in the study, I can't believe how fast he is!!

Lino is definitely a no-no...he will just fall over if he tries to walk on lino :(

Also...you'll probably need to put a roof on your run (if it hasn't already got one), otherwise he'll end up with a damp bum and matted fur in rainy weather.

I would imagine that if the vet doesn't think she should amputate I'll have to make door and ramps and things wider to accomodate his leg.

Do you think he'll be able to cope with ramps (i'll obviously box them in so he can't fall off them). I don't want to stop Piper and Minstrel from being happy, they love running around up and down ramps but I also don't want him to hurt himself.

I have no idea whether he'll be able to use ramps. My 3 legged bun could jump, but not very easily or very high. I guess a gentle slope would be fine

Amy

I don't know about Harry's history, but does he have splay leg? It can affect only one leg.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Bone_diseases/Genetic/splayleg.PDF

To be honest that looks quite a lot like what Jake may have, I will take that info to the vet on wednesday and see what she says.

It not lino i've got its rubber matting which isn't slippery do you think he still won't be able to cope? I'll try and make the ramps as shallow as possible for him and nice and wide. This all depends of course on whether he bonds with Piper and Minstrel.

Helen x

Back