• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits malting

misty&dexter

New Kit
Hi all,

I have two rabbits one is a black rex and the other is a mini lop. Both of them seem to be malting or casting if this is the right word but not in large amounts. I try just brushing them once a day but that never seem to help as soon as i have finishd brushing them. It looks like i havent even touched them with the brush espacially the Rex.
Does anyone have any suggestions how best to groom them, if there is any special brushes or combs that i should use. I would be most greatful for any suggestions.

:D

From Pets at Home you can get a whole set of brushes and combs, and I find that I experiment and see which is best for the buns.
Hope this helps.
Jack x

thanks, my mini lop look very like your josh. i seen a set in pets at home and it say's on it that it is for malting breeds only do you think this would be okay for the buns as it advertises it for cats and dogs.

thanks, my mini lop look very like your josh. i seen a set in pets at home and it say's on it that it is for malting breeds only do you think this would be okay for the buns as it advertises it for cats and dogs.

I think it would be Ok:D
As long as there is no sharp edges that could cut your bunny:)
Jack x

Hi :wave: I have a comb for knots, but I mostly use a slicker brush on mine. Its a flat squarish brush with short bent metal bristles for dragging fur out and holding it onto the brush (this is also brilliant for picking up fur off your carpet! :))

If they are shedding lots of loose fluff rather than clumps stroking them with a damp glove is very good as it stops the fur floating away and helps it clump into balls. :)

Hope this helps!

:oops::oops:

I don't bother with brushing them during a moult. They always look after themselves and use thier fur for their nests.

Sooty used to malt quite bad and in big clumps. I used to use one of the metal combes from the petshop and it got rid of loads especially around his back end.

Back