• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay- How aften...

Mine get fresh hay every day. I don't 'change' it as such, as there's only ever a little amount of the previous days left over!

Unless it gets wet I just change it when its gone which is normally twice a day anyway :lol:

Mine don't eat huge amounts, they usually just nibble and pick at it?
I change it every other dy, and top it up everyday- is this ok?
Jack x

Mine eat hay none stop so I just keep adding to it, I'd say I fill their indoor and outdoor rack up 3 times per day.

How many pellets do you feed them? If you cut down on these then they'll eat much more hay. My bonded four only get a bowl between them per day, and they devour hay like it's going out of fashion! :)

AMETHYST

The outdoor buns gobble all theirs and I top it up twice a day.

Sorrel picks al the tasty green bits out of hers and leaves what she doesnt like :rolleyes: so once a day i take out the left overs, use them to line the litter trays and replace with fresh.

try fluffing their hay up a bit and maybe mixing it with new to trick them into thinking it's all fresh. or just replacing it and using the rest for bedding etc.

The acid test

The acid test in deciding if your bunny is eating enough hay or if there is a problem is to look what comes out the other end.

Rabbit pebbles should pass the "oxo" test. They should be a reasonable size and crumble easily between the forefinger and thumb. Once crumbled you should easily be able to see the chewed up hay (1-2 mm in length).Pebbles that are darker and harder in which you cannot easily see the hay or soft and slimy ish indicate a problem which could be diet/teeth or gut related.

Sounds gross but this is the best indication as to what is going on:)

Excel also do stuff called Forage. Thats what mine eat tons of. It's soft but still dry and smells lovely and it's chunkier than hay. I would try that? I think it's the same price as Herbage. :)

I never 'change' the hay - I add to it - and it's not in a rack it's in a big cage base or underbed box so they can forage around in it - they slowly sort the waste hay to the back of the box and it covers up all the wee/poops they do at the same time - I empty the boxes once a week, but they get fresh hay twice a day - a bundle about as big as their body size :)

Molly and Monty have a large dog bed in their hutch full of hay and it gets refilled at least twice a day, there is never any left each time I do it, just lots of poos in its place:lol:

Back