• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

abcess

auia

Young Bun
I have a 8 year old netherland who has a tooth root abcess. She had it lanced and had her teeth done at the same time. She has had Ceporex from right after the operation. I have been flushing it and removing the puss. Yesterday it was right down to a tiny bump, but today it is huge again but there is no more puss coming out, could it be empty and it is just swollen from me sqeezing it. I am thinking about trying the honey that i have read about in posts on here. She goes back to the vets on Tuesday to have it checked. Even when the abcess was huge right at the start she eats really well and it has never seemed to bother her at all.

It could be because it's filling up a again or starting.It will be swollen a wee bit if you a squeezing.Infection too,but if she is on meds this is hopefully helping although a different type may be needed.I can't see it swelling way way up just with you squeezing it though.Sometimes the abcesses are a nightmare to get rid of and it can take a wee bit.It's good she is still eating though but if you feel it's getting worse again change the vet appointment to Monday instead if possible.All the best.

thanks for your reply, the vet did say she might try inserting a capsule into the abcess to see if this may help, I just want to try anything i can to try and help. I just dont know why there is nothing coming out at all now.

Sometimes when it hardens up nothing comes out at first but the meds soften it up and help get rid of the infection.So if it's maybe filling up again the pus stuff will be sort of solid so liquid won't come out.When you were draining it was it like liquid or sort of squeezy cheesy?Sounds disgusting i know.Hopefully whatever the vet is going to do will help.All the best.

the capsule works the best. i had one with as abcess in her chin and once the capsule had been put it it didnt reaccure, the same with indei who had one i his cheek!

it was more thick cheese to start with and then it was getting runny

Last edited:
Back