• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rugs and Rabbit Pee

JadedRed

Young Bun
Anyone have any tips for cleaning rugs whilst trying to housetrain a rabbit. As a last resort i have now had to pull all my rugs up but even after cleaning with washing up liquid and water and also using special foam cleaning stuff for rugs they are still stained and smell very bad. I'm thinking i might just drag them in to the bath today and use some washing powder to give them a clean. Does anyone have any tips? Am i just going to have to ditch them and buy new ones?

bicarbonate of soda is good for smells sprinkling it down powder form and leaving a wee while (long as rabbits don't eat it)you could also maybe put some in hot water and use that.Also lemon juice (fresh if possible) in hot water is good for smells and cleaning.

bicarbonate of soda is good for smells sprinkling it down powder form and leaving a wee while (long as rabbits don't eat it)you could also maybe put some in hot water and use that.Also lemon juice (fresh if possible) in hot water is good for smells and cleaning.

Oh i meant to also say diluted tea tree oil is good too and its also antispetic for germs and stuff,i use this for cleaning,i dilute it in a spray bottle with really hot water.

I have resorted to prevention for this, and have now put a sheet over the rug - which I can then easily put in the washing machine.

A good product for cleaning caprpets / rugs is Antony Worral Thompsons Fresh and green stain remover - it works really well and it's all natural

P@H sell stuff for cats to get rid of odour and stains of wee. Its in the litter tray section. It's very good. I use it for my bunnies as they occasionally forget and wee in the corner of the room. It gets the stain out and totally removes the smell too.

It's about £3.99 for a litre bottle or a bit more for the spray. Don't buy the stuff to put in the litter tray though, this stuff is specially for rugs and furniture. :)

White vinegar and a bit of liquid detergent diluted down is good too....thats what i use to clean accidents...its meant to neutralise the smell so that the rabbit won't reuse the area apparently!

White vinegar and a bit of liquid detergent diluted down is good too....thats what i use to clean accidents...its meant to neutralise the smell so that the rabbit won't reuse the area apparently!

also, if you do wash it in the bath, use biological washing powder - it breaks down the enzymes in the urine. rinse, then white vinegar to get rid of any trace of smell that could possibly be detected by those sensitive rabbit noses!

Thanks everyone, i think i've manged to get one almost pee-free, although i wont be putting it back down yet, asking for trouble that ;)

Back