• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

new bun from p@h - overgrown teeth UPDATE

Hugbut

Mama Doe
My new bun seems to have overgrown teeth :( We've only had her for a few days & i noticed she wasn't eating much - mostly spinach, apple & small amounts of hay.I checked her teeth this morning & the upper teeth are over grown.I am really angry as we adopted her from p@h - surely they should've checked her teeth? I'm bringing her to the vet in the morning, does anyone know if p@h will pay towards the vet fees?
I'm really p*ssed off with them :censored:

Last edited:
Well the representatives of PAH on this forum say they would..but may differ from store to store.
I'd ask vet for a bill and take it to the store with your receipt for the bunny..then ask for them to pay....good luck

Well the representatives of PAH on this forum say they would..but may differ from store to store.
I'd ask vet for a bill and take it to the store with your receipt for the bunny..then ask for them to pay....good luck

I'm at least going to try & make them contribute towards the bill - on the adoption agrrement it states 'this animal has been given a healthcheck and is free from any physical deformity or informity other than disclosed above' (there is no stated problems)

I'm worried though as it also saysthat i am responsible for vet fees from the date of adoption :?

I'm at least going to try & make them contribute towards the bill - on the adoption agrrement it states 'this animal has been given a healthcheck and is free from any physical deformity or informity other than disclosed above' (there is no stated problems)

I'm worried though as it also saysthat i am responsible for vet fees from the date of adoption :?

But surely they could see it's teeth couldn't overgrow in the time you've had it?
I think that must mean other things like injuries or new illnesses.
If they won't pay, just talk very loudly to the manager in the middle of the shop about how terrible it is that he provided you with a sick rabbit. :lol::evil:

Nowhere on the adoption form does it state who carries out the health-checks so there is no guarantee that a vet has seen the rabbit.

I know one member from here adopted a rabbit with horrific teeth issues from Heeley P@H and they contributed to some of the vet fee's....in the end he had to have his incisors removed.

I agree and in addittion I would ask who it was who checked its teeth?Ask were the front and back teeth checked? If the front teeth have problems which can be checked visually, its a sure bet that nobody checked the rear as it is normally only a vet with an oroscope who can do it.

Also the removal of all 6 front teeth is generally the only permanent solution:(

I would also get your vet to state somewhere how long they believe their teeth have been like that just so you have something to back you up to say the teeth definately would have been like that when you adopted her. They may say you're not being truthful if you have her teeth fixed and then go to the after asking for money. Take some pictures if you can.

Good luck.

Sorry to hear of your problems. I got my rabbit Sandy from P@H and he had terrible teeth problems. When I complained they said they have no way of checking the back teeth and only check the front ones. I had to take Sandy back to the shop to show them the state of his front teeth. They offered me a new rabbit to begin with!!! Finally they offered to pay up to £40 to have him put to sleep!! or towards an operation. I eventually got £40 towards his dental and £26 the cost of the rabbit refunded. I found the whole experience infuriating. I hope your bunny feels better soon and Good Luck with P@H

Leanne and Sandy

I worked for a while at Pet City which them became PetSmart and then Pets@Home.

If there were any buns or other small furries with overgrown teeth the livestock manager would just clip them with dog nail clippers. :shock:

We had a litter of angora crosses in and 2 of them already had overgrown incisors at 11 weeks.
They still sold them to unsuspecting owners. :censored:

This was just one other nail in the coffin of my working there, I left because there were so many things inherently wrong with the way the livestock was kept, I don't just mean bad things that were done at that particular store but company policy and the design of the accomodation etc.

At the time the rabbits were sourced from anyone who had litters, mainly X breeds, no questions asked about the dental and health history of the parents. These were just backyard breeders and people with accidental litters.

My brother was a store manager in various branches and he left too because the company drove him nuts.

Last edited:
apparently, P@H charge people £7 who are putting the rabbits in for adoption to cover a vet check up on the bun:roll: as I had someone phone me and tell me they had just been in to ask them about putting their bun in their for adoption anyway it came into me (thank god)

apparently, P@H charge people £7 who are putting the rabbits in for adoption to cover a vet check up on the bun:roll: as I had someone phone me and tell me they had just been in to ask them about putting their bun in their for adoption anyway it came into me (thank god)

Im afraid whoever told you that was telling a pack of lies. P@H do not charge any amount to donate any animal into adoption. Either that, or that store is being a bit cheeky!

My new bun seems to have overgrown teeth :( We've only had her for a few days & i noticed she wasn't eating much - mostly spinach, apple & small amounts of hay.I checked her teeth this morning & the upper teeth are over grown.I am really angry as we adopted her from p@h - surely they should've checked her teeth? I'm bringing her to the vet in the morning, does anyone know if p@h will pay towards the vet fees?
I'm really p*ssed off with them :censored:

This is a tricky one, technically as you have signed the adoption agreement, you have agreed that you are responsible for that rabbits vets bills from the moment you adopted him. However, if you can prove that the rabbits teeth were obviously overgrown you should be entitled to help towards the vets bill. Proof will have to be something on paper from an independent vet. Take your proof to the store and speak with the manager. The manager will then have to speak to the adoption manager, probably send them a copy of the proof from independent vet and then wait for the decision. It will probably take a few days and you will probably be contacted directly by the adoption manager.

P@H will not pay towards the vet bill because P@H did not own/sell the rabbit, the Pets at Home Charitable Foundation owned the rabbit and you adopted the bun from the charity.

Disclaimer: None of the above typed text should be taken literally. This is just my opinion as an assistant store manager and what I personally think will probably happen. I cannot say for certain things will work out this way as I have never been in this situation personally or professionally. I am not a Pets At Home spokeswoman, nor am I a Charitable Foundation Spokeswoman. I just work in a well known, rather large pet shop and just happen to love animals.

This is a tricky one, technically as you have signed the adoption agreement, you have agreed that you are responsible for that rabbits vets bills from the moment you adopted him. However, if you can prove that the rabbits teeth were obviously overgrown you should be entitled to help towards the vets bill. Proof will have to be something on paper from an independent vet. Take your proof to the store and speak with the manager. The manager will then have to speak to the adoption manager, probably send them a copy of the proof from independent vet and then wait for the decision. It will probably take a few days and you will probably be contacted directly by the adoption manager.

P@H will not pay towards the vet bill because P@H did not own/sell the rabbit, the Pets at Home Charitable Foundation owned the rabbit and you adopted the bun from the charity.

Disclaimer: None of the above typed text should be taken literally. This is just my opinion as an assistant store manager and what I personally think will probably happen. I cannot say for certain things will work out this way as I have never been in this situation personally or professionally. I am not a Pets At Home spokeswoman, nor am I a Charitable Foundation Spokeswoman. I just work in a well known, rather large pet shop and just happen to love animals.

Surly thats just shunting the blame onto the charity for the shop?

Can we hear the book being passed x

im not saying you personally are doing anything wrong, thats just my opinion x

Last edited:
Not at all.

If you buy a rabbit from Pets at Home the shop any problems are dealt with by the shop.

If you adopt a rabbit from the Charitable Foundation you have not purchased the rabbit from P@H which is stated on the adoption agreement.

I cant see any books being passed anywhere?

I am back with an update.
It's worse than i first thought - it's her molars that are over growns, not her incisors.It is going to cost £90 to have them fixed & as it stands, p@h are refusing to pay a penny towards the vet fees.I have spoken to the store manager who spoke to the charity people who told him it was my responsibility, i disputed this as she clearly already had the problem when i adopted her, so he said he'd speak to them again, but so far i've heard nothing.The only solution he could offer me was 'we'll take her off your hands' which i refused.I asked him what they'd do if i gave her back & he said they'd pay for her dental work, so why can't they pay towards it when i've got her? He says because the treatment 'wouldn't be in their hands' they'd probably have her pts more like.In the middle of all this is an innnocent bun who just needs her teeth fixed :( I feel awful that i didn't notice there was a problem sooner.
:censored: to say i am furious with p@h is understatement of the year :censored:

Not at all.

If you buy a rabbit from Pets at Home the shop any problems are dealt with by the shop.

If you adopt a rabbit from the Charitable Foundation you have not purchased the rabbit from P@H which is stated on the adoption agreement.

I cant see any books being passed anywhere?

But has any memeber of the charitable foundation ever seen the bun..or been present to witness the adoption?
If not then surely the store staff involved have to take the responsibility:?

Which area are you in Hugbut?
there may be a vet who does conscioius burring..much cheaper for you and less risk to bun
I'd still send a copy of the bill and vets opinion to PAH:?

Sorry if i sound silly but what is conscious burring?
Also, how would i go about finding out if my vet would do it - just ask them?

But has any memeber of the charitable foundation ever seen the bun..or been present to witness the adoption?
If not then surely the store staff involved have to take the responsibility:?

No because they are based in head office, miles away from 90% of stores. Store staff are "agents" for the foundation, we take in, look after, and rehome the animals, and take them to the vet if necessary. The charity owns them, the store pays for the upkeep of the animals. Store staff cant take responsibility for an animal the store did not own.

Sorry if i sound silly but what is conscious burring?
Also, how would i go about finding out if my vet would do it - just ask them?

Conscious burring just means that the rabbit isn't given a GA...the procedure is done whilst the rabbit is awake.

Whether or not it can be done conscious sometimes depends on the severity of the condition.

There are vets in Nottingham and Coventry that do conscious dentals...and I'm sure there will be others that I don't know about. Are you close to either of these areas?

Amy

Back