• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Peanuts being a bully??

XMissySJx

Wise Old Thumper
Peanut is such a softie.. when i first bonded him and jelly, he sat there shivvering while she just plodded about, she has always been 'top bun' no doubt about it.

the past few weeks..peanut has changed. He boxes her, pushes her out of the way she she doesnt do anything. The past 3 days he has eaten every spec of food i layed down, and she didnt touch it. i thought maybe she was in stasis, so i shut him off in the bedroom area, but she still wouldnt eat. she nibbled at bits of hay..n thats it.

They still cuddle up together, and are perfectly happy as a couple...i just dont know whether its Jelly having a stasis type episode..or peanuts being a bully?

she went to the vet tuesday, and they found nothing wrong with her :? :cry:

Poor Jelly... certainly sounds like she is being bullied. :( Could his behaviour not be because of the time of year? has he been checked over to to make sure their is no underlying cause to his aggression towards her?

I would be careful that her lack of eating is a result of stress. It can make bunnies go off their food.

its just so not like him. he grunts at me when i put the food down... and hes NEVER done that. hes my snuggle bun, hes the biggest soppy thign ever and when i originally bonded them i was concerned SHE would bully HIM. cus shes a right stroppy mare. he went to the vet too and he said he was fine :?

It does sound like he is being a bit of a bully :( Sorry I dont really have any advice though :oops: Would taking them back to neutral territory for a while help do you think? x

i dont really think so, because i moved them out their hutche for debbies bunnies who are staying here cus one of her buns is blind and have a Lavendar Lodge hutch at home, so i let them use it because it was familar to her blind bunny...

so peanut butter and jelly were indoors(conservatory) for 3 days and they were just the same. I now have a new lavendar lodge hutch which they are in, so still neutral and hes still doing it

i dont really think so, because i moved them out their hutche for debbies bunnies who are staying here cus one of her buns is blind and have a Lavendar Lodge hutch at home, so i let them use it because it was familar to her blind bunny...

so peanut butter and jelly were indoors(conservatory) for 3 days and they were just the same. I now have a new lavendar lodge hutch which they are in, so still neutral and hes still doing it

Have they been able to smell the other buns? Sometimes that
can cause them to have a few spats. If one of my pairs smells the other buns on me they start chasing each other around the room. :?

yeh but cus i do boarding they can always smell other buns...and he does it when were fully booked and when were empty, its never bothered him

It is spring and even neutered buns can get a bit frisky in spring - maybe it's something to do with the changing daylight affecting their general hormones. I'd say that if illness has been ruled out, it's likely to be a combination of spring and the smell of other bunnies - plus of course because of the blind boarder you've just changed their accommodation a couple of times which may have further upset his feeling of security. Hopefully it will settle down soon.

oh dear are my lot causing trouble:no::oops:

Petey and Jessy went through a period like this last year when they were inside house buns, Jessie is usually the one that keeps Petey under control (and lets face it he needs keeping in line:lol:) anyway last summer she suddenly went off her food and seemed to be being bossed a bit by Petey, I took her to the vet she was found ok but put her on Science recovery for 2-3 days and I monitored her via a camera to see if i could catch her eating and within a few days she was eating again and things were back to normal.

Could Benji be causing a problem? remember he isnt yet neutered and also all my female buns are also unneutered too so could that be upsetting Peanut and making him bossy?

I hope it all settles down. Sorry if my lot are causing problems:oops:

he was doing it before your buns came along, hes been doing it for a good few weeks now, its not your bunnies making him a moody so and so, and he did when we were empty!

i think its spring causing it! just gone outside n they are curled up together!:rolleyes:

Perhaps it is the change of accomodation. He's got to sort of reassess his territory and maybe he's deciding to make a play for boss because of it and the combination or the warmer weather?

We moved Molly and Faline's crate from the dining room to the living room a few weeks back and that unsettled them and made them lose their litter training for a couple of days and that was only really moving them from one area to another since they have the run of the dining room and kitchen anyway.

are you sure hes not poorly hun, wasnt he peein wrong not so long ago???

he was peeing down his legs, but when i showed the vet he said i shouldnt be concerned because it was so slight. i keep wondering if he is poorly but hes always binkying, running, gobblign down food, eating tonnes of hay...

the vet said he looked really healthy and well

he was peeing down his legs, but when i showed the vet he said i shouldnt be concerned because it was so slight. i keep wondering if he is poorly but hes always binkying, running, gobblign down food, eating tonnes of hay...

the vet said he looked really healthy and well

maybe hes just decided he wants to be boss..:roll:

he seems to have stopped for now, theyve spent the day together in the sunshine and they are best friends again:)

Back