• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do you feed your pairs?

Julia123

Warren Veteran
A bowl each or share a bowl?

I have always used a big bowl buns to share which has been fine up to now.

Now Bungle and Nushka are together I need a re-think as their eating patterns differ, Nushka likes to have a munch then go back and finish her food later - Bungle gobbles everything up in one sitting :shock: So he's having far too much.

What do you do with a greedy bunny :roll:

Mine share a bowl but we had to get a large shallow one so they can sit either side of it as Norman tries to get all the food,I give them a pile of veggies each as he tries to eat it all.:roll:

mine share too its funny as they always eat half each like they know the rest is for the other bunny:lol:

Mine Share- but I have got 3 bowls so they can eat in the Playhouse, in the run, and then there is one spear! x
Jack x

We always find that ours adapt to the "eat-it-whilst-its-there" approach when they're in a group/pair! When Beemer arrived he would have prefered to pither backwards and forwards to the bowl all day - but he soon learnt that if he did then it would be gobbled by the other three :lol: Means that once "breakfast" (pellets) is gone then they eat lots and LOTS of hay for the rest of the day :D

Mine dont have a bowl, I hide their pellets in their hay so they have to dig for it :) x

Ah good idea ! However when I put Bungle and Nush back in the pen after bonding I scattered pellets round the floor for them but Bungle just hoovered them all up while Nushka watched :rolleyes:

I always put food on the floor for my 4, but it does worry me a bit as I know Primrose is like a hoover, whereas Victoria never gets enough - so I end up giving them a bit more than they need, just so Victoria gets enough, and then Primrose gets fat and starts leaving caecals on the floor :roll: I think the only solution is to give the bunny that's greedy all they need to eat, plus a bit more for the other one, and give the other one a secret extra feed later :?

We gave up on bowls ages ago!

Our group of four have a pile of pellets all in one place in their hutch, but our pair of girls need to eat seperately so get their pellets scattered all around the hutch and run.

Ah good idea ! However when I put Bungle and Nush back in the pen after bonding I scattered pellets round the floor for them but Bungle just hoovered them all up while Nushka watched :rolleyes:

Ahh mine all get equal amounts when I do this, they are all running about like they are starved trying to get as much as they can :lol:

guinnes gobbles faster than poppy. I fixed up a removable divider in the hutch to temporarily split it in half, each morning i put it in, put a bowl and a rabbit in each half, go an have my breakfast then come back and reunite them.

except this morning when i forgot, went out and had to phone my housemate to take the divider out :oops:

Mine share, but I give them their pellets through out the day in treatballs and scattered about. The bowl is a token thing to get them in their crate at bedtime.

Our group all share a big bowl though.

guinnes gobbles faster than poppy. I fixed up a removable divider in the hutch to temporarily split it in half, each morning i put it in, put a bowl and a rabbit in each half, go an have my breakfast then come back and reunite them.

except this morning when i forgot, went out and had to phone my housemate to take the divider out :oops:

That's a brilliant idea! I may have to copy that!

Give them a bowl to share - wont take Nush long to realise she'll have to eat while the going is good! Just give them a few less for now otherwise you'll end up with a very large Bungle!! :shock:

The big house buns have a huge shallow dog bowl full of hay with their pellets mixed in so they can't trough them all at once. As Gladys is dominant she's in there first with both feet in the bowl but lets Nigel join her after a couple of minutes. They will go back to it a couple of times in an hour or so 'til it's empty.

The little buns have a glass dish in the run with their pellets in and a big bundle of hay. THey generally just both jam their heads in the bowl and stuff themselves for a few minutes, or Dougal will go in the hutch and start on the hay while Doris will have pellets, then they'll swap. They never eat the other's share. :)

That's a brilliant idea! I may have to copy that!

thanks :) I did it by bolting two bulldog clips to the divider that separates the enclosed ebit from the wire fronted bit, then i have a pice of plastic the same size as the gap and just clip it in, if you know what i mean...?

I throw food around the room and they can forage for it. I also hide food in hay. In fact the one thing I don't use is a bowl.

I have to separate Zion and Fia in the morning and the evening as Fia seems to have an incredibly high metabolism since she was spayed and loses weight very easily. She has 2 handfuls of pellets and a handful of oats in the morning and a bowl of veg and a handful of pellets in the evening whereas Zi has 1 handful of pellets in the morning and just his veg in the evening.

Fia eats her food incredibly slowly and Zi is typical hoover rabbit. I have tried to feed them together but Zi just finishes his much quicker and then eats all of Fia's :roll: It's a bit of a pain in the bum but Fia looks so much better when she has a bit more weight on her but she will always be a slight bun despite the amount of food she eats!

Back