• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Newlyweds Fighting This Morning

The Duchess

Wise Old Thumper
Hello all.

Any experienced bonding folk out there?

You may have all seen that Janice at ARC bonded two of my bunnies last week. They came home on Wednesday and have been fine since, until this morning. Nothing wrong when we first did a morning walkround. Half an hour later fluff everywhere and Sally's ear is bloody (clawed but not worrying).

The buns were still okay when we found them but, once again they started to tussle. It appears that Sally wants to get close and Edi runs away, but has obviously turned around when he has had enough.

I put them in a carrier and walked them around, then took them out for a drive and it seemed to quieten them down.

I cleaned out the hutch and closed off the entrance to the attached run so that they had to be together. I replaced all of their existing litter trays and bowls etc so that the only real constant was themselves.

The have again had a few tussles, with Sally chasing Edi. She seems to want to be with him and not chase him away.

They are now settled down to eat - at opposite ends of the hutch I have to say, with Sally going up to Edi every now and again and then back up the other end.

I am really wanting to know (as Janice doesn't seem to be around) if I should allow them to continue being together for now (don't want to undo Janices hard work but splitting them up unless it's absolutely necessary). My OH and I are supposed to be going out and I'm not sure if I should leave them alone.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks in advance.

Helen

Who is attacking who?

Well Sally chases Edi. Edi runs away and Sally continues to chase. Although on a couple of occasions Edi has obviously turned around and gone for her as it's her ear that's injured.

Update, having just come in to make this post, Sally has just spent the last few minutes chasing him madly with her tail up - more fur flying.

I have just divided them up in their own accommodation as it looks worse this time.

Having done quite a bit of bonding I don't feel I can leave them in together right now. I'll let them calm down a bit and then take them out again in the carrier. Then I can try them again together in our back hallway, they don't know it so it will be quite neutral.

Do you think it will be because I smell of other bunnies?

You say on your morning rounds.....are they within sight or smell of other rabbits?

If so you may have a case of referred aggression.

Hi Sooz.

No, this particular pair are in a big hutch and run set up away from the rest of our bunnies. But, of course, I probably smell of other rabbits.

Thing is they have been fine all week and nothing has changed at all.

Having given them a bit of time apart in the same run, I have just put them back together in a carrier and my OH is sitting with them on the bench while I am on the forum. They are sitting side by side with heads next to each other with no signs of being too stressed or distressed.

I will continue to try and re-bond this afternoon with the carrier for a while and will then try them somewhere neutral.

I just hope I feel comfortable enough to leave them together overnight tonight.

What do you think? Don't want to give up on them. They didn't fight at all when they were at Janices and I am wondering if this is just the normal dominance thing but a bit later than normal, now that they both feel comfortable. Hope it's not serious.:)

Thanks everyone, but sadly I had to split them up earlier.

We persevered with them in a carrier and then in a very small run on the grass, where neither had been before, with a litter tray. They were quiet for a while, then Sally tried to make advances again and Edi just froze in a corner hunkered down as tight as he could. We allowed them to stay together for quite a while but after a while, Sally was still trying to get Edison to react and in the end he did but retaliating and she was injured again. It was top to toe stuff and quite angry so we split them up.

Despite removing her from the run, Edi was still freaked out and sat in one corner.

We decided that we couldn't continue trying, at least for today so put Edi in a clean hutch elsewhere (after quite an aggressive go from him when I picked him up where normally he loves a cuddle), he promptly laid down and did both lamby legs and then on to Superman legs!!!

The relief was obviously showing.

So now I don't quite know where we go from here. He's now been tried with 3 different ladies, got so far and then he goes nuts. This is the best attempt yet though......................:(

Back