• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Another Abcess arghhh (sad news)

kayj

Wise Old Thumper
Can't believe it:shock: I took 2 5yr old female nethie's in last week, and yesterday when I was doing my daily checks I noticed something in in between the dewlap and the jaw. On closer inspection I pulled at it and out came a load of puss, it is right at the back of the jaw near the throat and attatched to the lower jaw bone:cry: looks like a trip to the vets. I also had a homre lined up for them too:cry:

Last edited:
Oh dear, sounds like a tooth root abscess :cry:
Hopefully surgery followed by Depocillin or Ceporex will be curative or will at least contain the infection. I would think it def will need more than Baytril.

Poor Bun :cry:

Janex

:wave: see if they will put a capsule in their. boras had a abcess in her chin and had a capsule put in and it worked. bad timimg though:evil:

Unfortunately the little girl as been helped to the bridge she was booked in for surgery tomorrow but her breathing went quite erratic earlier this afternoon and I rushed her to the vets where she was pts. The infection had gone into the lungs and the puss was just oozing out of her jaw and she had lost a couple of teeth due to the extent of the abcess:cry::cry: I just hope her sister will be ok as they have never been seperated before:cry:

Oh bless her, thank heavens for your quick action though so she suffered as little as possible.

xx

Back