• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Holiday boarding for house buns in hutches.

hippo27

Young Bun
I have two buns a boy and a girl who are happily bonded.
Currently they have a large conservatory to play in when we are at work and the whole run of the house when we are at home.
They are never shut into a hutch/crate or any smallish confined area.

The problem is that we are going on our hols in may and haven't got our usual bunny sitters available to live in with them.
I am worried about putting them into holiday boarding -being shut into what is for them a much smaller space than they are accustomed to (even with a 6ft hutch). I am concerned that they may fall out, never having been 'shut in' together
Has anybody on RU put their house bunnies into hutched holiday accomodation?
I feel cruel even contemplating it as they are used to so much free range but am struggling to find a live in bunny sitter.
(temperature wise it is not an issue as the conservatory is kept cool for them)

We have house buns who very happily stay at The Bunnery in Bromsgrove when we're away. I would recommend getting in touch with Jacky and going to visit. (Alternatively, depending on where you are in Brum, there is another branch at Cannock and Jo there is great too :))Their pens are a REALLY good size and you could even have a "family" enclosure which is double length. We have a foursome of smaller buns who very happily holiday in a "family" enclosure.
http://www.thebunnery.co.uk/asp/index.asp

We have never had any problems here with house buns that have boarded outside - we just make sure they get lots of "Out" time every day, whether that be in a run, supervised in the garden, or running around our lounge of an evening for a few hours.
Speak to whichever boarder you choose and see what they can offer you.

Muppet is a house bun, currently on his second stay with Kay at Bunnyhops. Like yours he's never shut in at home, but he seems fine with being in hutch, with occasional 'time out' to run around too :) When I dropped him off earlier, he obviously remembered he'd been there before and had a good 'explore' of the hutch and settled in very quickly.

He's only been for the weekend so far though, I wanted him to get used to somewhere new before having a longer stay away.

Back