• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Flystrike Protection

missshell

Mama Doe
I've been thinking as its spring its time to be on guard against fly strike. I have used rearguard on old buns in the past, however my buns are young and fit so im wondering if its worth putting it on them as they keep themselves very clean.
What do you think?

Be interesting to see what people say as i have very little knowledge around this area and would be keen to hear any ideas.

:wave:as well as reargaurd i spray the hutch with water that has had citrunalla oil put in it, it donst harm buns so can be sprayed on bun too. just gives that extra protection. also have used the hutch disifectant that has lavendar in it flies hate lavender.

Even though I lost a bun to flystrike (binky free Nougat), she was an overweight bun, and had bottom problems.
I don't rearguard my buns, as I'm not overly keen on using chemicals on them. Instead, I regulate their diet carefully, and give them regular health checks. I clean litter trays, and also spray the citronella stuff around. I also hang flypaper around the runs.

I just gave the hutch and run a thorough spring clean as I realised that the warm damp weather had brought the flies out. :shock:

I don't rear guard, but I'm paranoid about flystrike since my neighbour's rabbit got it and he killed his rabbit with a rock because he didn't know about emergency vet hours. :cry::cry::cry:

I moved the run completely onto the patio so that wee and stuff can't soak into the soil, and then Jeyes'd the hell out of the patio and soil where there was poo and nasty flies were lurking.

I bum check every day and have litter trays and am getting vet bed so there should be nowhere for the little beggers to hide from me! :evil:

I'm not keen on using things with chemicals unless really necessary.
If I had a bun that couldn't clean itself I would consider Rearguard or Beaphar Fly Free.
In the summer I change litter trays daily, spray around the shed and run with citronella, and do a daily bum check.
I think it really depends on what the risk is for your buns.

I'm not into chemicals either. I use a homemade fly repellant (white wine vinegar, citronella and lavender) on the run, hutches and litter trays. I bum check daily and hang fly netting around the run.
I didn't know citronella was safe to spray on a rabbit's rear. Do you think I could do the same with dilute lavender oil?

would oil burners with citronella deter flys.. << still thinking how i will protect my pair in scotland where there millions of flies just waiting to get their bums :evil::evil::evil::evil:

I don't rear guard, but I'm paranoid about flystrike since my neighbour's rabbit got it and he killed his rabbit with a rock because he didn't know about emergency vet hours. :cry::cry::cry:

:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

OMG, the dreaded midgies! They eat me alive! I think if were to put torches aroun their run/hutch it would deter flies but of course you could not leave the torches unattended.

flystrike

Without comment on how good rearguard is or is'nt can I just say the following.

In the last 10 yrs inspite of seeing 100s of bunnies we have not had a single case of flystrike aquired whilst on our premises.

The reason..... All our rabbits have had a thourough rear teeth examination and their rear teeth are in reasonable condition . It therefore follows they can eat a high fibre course diet....in large quantities ie really good quality hay followed by more hay and so forth. In addittion they are fed small quantities of excel or ss twice a day which they woof down in 5mins flat.The rest of the day they just have access to really good hay and water.

In addittion to that we have a good cleaning routine in which the rabbits are kept clean on garden gravel trays of newspaper and 4-5 ins of hay on top.Each rabbit has 5-6 trays changed 3 times per week and in addittion a 12in swinging hay globe.

All rearguard does is cure the symptoms of a problem ,not the problem....clean rabbits on the correct diet vary rarely get flystrike and that is a fact. Any rabbit with a messy or sticky back side has a problem which should be addressed and there is often a simple cure. If you read the back of the rearguard box it neatly fails to tell you that if you have your husbandry right the risks to a normal healthy rabbit with good teeth are very small but instead feeds on your fears for your loved pet.

D'ont get me wrong ...rear guard is a good product for some rabbits with problems...the question is why do you need it and should I be changing other things first.

But remember if you have any doubts about your rabbits ability to eat the correct diet you should seek veterinary advice and an examination first before you change anything!

D'ont get me wrong ...rear guard is a good product for some rabbits with problems...the question is why do you need it and should I be changing other things first.

QUOTE]

So does that mean it is not a preventitive?

Just had 4 of my lot ot the vet for boosters and he says they perfect!!! :D I asked him about reargaurd but he said that the good husbandry I give them is enough. He also told some people who feed garlic, don't realise it attracts fleas to a rabbit.

Back