• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sausage faeces

Lspacehopper

Wise Old Thumper
As the title says....we have a bun doing sausage poos as opposed to nuggets. The rabbit is quiet, but eating and drinking well. Unless appears unwell tomorrow will be at the vets first thing Monday for a check up.

Any ideas?

I had a bun do sausage poos, when she arrived she was covered 1" thick in dried feaces, she had a bad squitty poo problem. After being cleaned up and meds - Baytril, Metaclop & Fibrplex she developed sausage poos - I think they were her ceacotrophs but they weren't quite right... after feeding just hay and water and gradually introducing SS & veg she settled to normal poos. Where is the bunny from? Its possibly diet related...

I had a bun do sausage poos, when she arrived she was covered 1" thick in dried feaces, she had a bad squitty poo problem. After being cleaned up and meds - Baytril, Metaclop & Fibrplex she developed sausage poos - I think they were her ceacotrophs but they weren't quite right... after feeding just hay and water and gradually introducing SS & veg she settled to normal poos. Where is the bunny from? Its possibly diet related...

Well, he's been with us 2 weeks. For first couple of days he only had hay and then small amounts of pellets.

There is no mess at all at the back end, all very clean. Just sausage poos that are a solid consistency.

hmmmm... I'm not sure then... BUT I have had a couple of my buns doing the same thing. Interestingly enough it only started when they changed to Science Selective. They are healthy in every aspect though!

I'm really not sure then...??? Sounds like he's being fed perfectly ??? :? If he is a baby, maybe he didn't get enough gut flora from Mum - maybe add some probiotic to his water??

Dougal does this. It only started after a bout of stasis. He's perfectly healthy but produces these big sausage poos. He eats lots of roughage and I see no caecals. I put it down to his gut moving a bit slower now he's had stasis so it backs up.

I was going to post about it but I see someone beat me to it! :wave:

Have you tried breaking one open to see whats inside? :mrgreen:

Im serious though, is there a lot of hair inside?

I have..... there's poo inside :shock:

He's not long haired and it's unlikely to be moult as Doris has been stealing all his fur and making nests with it! :lol:

As Siona has said...Long poops means the gut is moving slower than normal.

It can be a temporary thing (i.e. during stasis) or it can be permanent (i.e. megacolon).

You could try probiotics, as has been suggested

If the rabbit seems healthy otherwise, it's probably best not to introduce drugs in his fragile digestive system.

what exactly is sausage poos? You mean 1 single long poo or a no. of small oval shape poos stick together in a long form?

This might sound daft, but what colour is he?

I've just been doing some research after abbymarysmokey mentioned megacolon and although a lot of what I could find was highly scientific and difficult to pick apart, I found a study that showed a direct link between the genes that produce predominantly white buns with spotting and colouring around the eyes and ears, and rabbit megacolon or 'cowpoop syndrome'.

Sadly that fits my little Dougal perfectly, and it can cause complications and blockages that prove fatal. :(

DSCN1104.jpg

They say that giving adequate fluids and wet greens is usually good enough though, and most vets don't know what this condition is. To be on the safe side you can give Lactulose once a week apparently too.

Have you tried breaking one open to see whats inside? :mrgreen:

Im serious though, is there a lot of hair inside?

Will have a look tomorrow. Going to book into the vets first thing though. There's something else going on that isn't right.

He's very quiet and not moving round as much as I'd like, although when picked up and petted and put back into his cage he tucks into his hay etc and then goes quiet again.

There were a lot of normal pellets today too. He's not bloaty, doesn't appear gassy or anything, but he's too quiet.

Hopefully the vet can suggest a good pick me up to get him back on track or investigate if there's an issue.

This might sound daft, but what colour is he?

I've just been doing some research after abbymarysmokey mentioned megacolon and although a lot of what I could find was highly scientific and difficult to pick apart, I found a study that showed a direct link between the genes that produce predominantly white buns with spotting and colouring around the eyes and ears, and rabbit megacolon or 'cowpoop syndrome'.

Sadly that fits my little Dougal perfectly, and it can cause complications and blockages that prove fatal. :(

DSCN1104.jpg

They say that giving adequate fluids and wet greens is usually good enough though, and most vets don't know what this condition is. To be on the safe side you can give Lactulose once a week apparently too.

Oh my Gosh, thank you so much for posting this! As you can see our Earl matches that colouring and hes been having sausage poo's too and weve been ever so concerned and still are obviously, but its good to know

Oh my Gosh, thank you so much for posting this! As you can see our Earl matches that colouring and hes been having sausage poo's too and weve been ever so concerned and still are obviously, but its good to know

There's very little info on it, I'll try and find out more as Dougal has it regularly. I'll post what I find out on a new thread.

LSpacehopper - sorry to hijack your thread, I hope this info is of some use to you! :wave:

There's very little info on it, I'll try and find out more as Dougal has it regularly. I'll post what I find out on a new thread.

LSpacehopper - sorry to hijack your thread, I hope this info is of some use to you! :wave:

Don't apologise. Diversifying the topics is a great way to pick up top tips :)

I took our little guy to the vets today and the vet gave painkiller and gut stimulant (although he is pooing like a trooper, just not normally!). Also syringing some warm water and bio lapis to see if he picks up. If no joy, we're taking a faecal sample in for analysis (if I'd have thought I'd have taken one in anyway!).

It's just so weird.....if this is the onset of a gut problem, it's the first time I've ever had such a warning. Fingers crossed the little guy picks up!

Back