• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Moody female bun

Lillian

Warren Veteran
My bun Roo has got so moody, shes horrible. If you go near her she runs at you, trying to bite. I don't know whats up with her recently. Do you think she will calm down, and will spaying help?
All my buns are going to be neutered in the summer anyway

Spaying is almost certainly the reason I would say.

Bunnies are driven by their hormones (let's face it, reproducing is why they were put on the planet as a wild animal). I am certain that as soon as you get her spayed (the sooner the better as it's not fair on the bunnies to have their hormones driving them bonkers - not to mention the health risk to females) she will be a much calmer lady.

Any particular reason for waiting until the summer?

Last edited:
We had a very aggressive female in and I have the scars to prove it! After spaying she did eventually calm down a lot. We've just bonded her with a male very easily and very successfully. With one - on - one, she's coming round a treat.

We are waiting until the summer because our vet said its better to get them spayed during hot weather, rather then when its cold and damp out. Plus we'll have more money in the summer. We can take her earlier if it will really make a difference to her.

spaying will really help,i had Beatrix done in January and she is now really calm and affectionate,she was a moody old hag before,but still she was beautiful and i loved her,now she has been neutered she loves me back;)

When i got Hattie last june she was horrible but then thats because she was pregnant but we didnt know that. And we had her spayed when the babies were 8 weeks old. She's nicer now but still gets grumpy. We are having my cat Homer neutered on wednesday and my puppy Lola is having her injection on friday, so i think i'll get my mum to book Roo in next.

If you can have her done sooner, do. I really believe the earlier the better, especially if she is already displaying grumpy hormonal behaviour!

I recently had my bunnie spayed due to bad behaviour and her un-trainable toilet habbits.
Its only been a week and a few days, shes pooing in her litter tray and is generally a nicer, more pleasant rabbit, soon to be introduced to her male friend when i feel brave enough lol :D
They sulk for the first few days after op but eventually come round again!

I would try if poss, get her done sooner rather than later!
:D

I know after the op its hard for bunnies to regulate their temps but even so i would get her done asap as she will take longer to come round after months of grumpy behavour Take from an owner of bunnies for 44 years in October lol We had one hanging off my hubbys trousers just before we had her spayed now all she wants to do is sit on our kness and be loved.

We are waiting until the summer because our vet said its better to get them spayed during hot weather, rather then when its cold and damp out.

I can understand this, but is there a way you could get said moody bunny done earlier and then keep her in an indoor cage with any bonded pals until she's feeling better? Spaying should really help her out. I was stunned at the difference it made to my two unspayed (when I got them) does after they'd been done. :)

AMETHYST

It could be because she is broody, my rabbit whiskas is like that and neutering does help a bit but it depends on the rabbit.My rabbit whiskas was neutered when she was still quite young, to stop her getting cancer but she still goes to bite me now.Especially over her food bowl, I have recieved many bites from her trying to give her some food.

if shes showing grumpy behaviour now she needs spaying asap ...other wise the behaviour will become habit and spaying wont make that much difference.;)

I have an aggressive female. I have literally tried everything with her. I have had her since she was a baby. She has been spayed and is partnered with a subservient male. She was a house bun and got lots of attention, which seemed to stress her. She is also EXTREMELY destructive. So now she is an outdoor bun with a yard to run in and a shed to sleep in. But she is still the most aggressive rabbit ever. She always has been and I think she always will be. I guess it is just the way she is. Normally you can get buns through this as it will be a lifestyle issue. However I have tried EVERYTHING with Lily. I really hope your bun settles and you have better luck than I have had. Failing that, she may just be a diva that you have to love anyway :lol:

Back