• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help! Buns Chewing Sofa!

SmokyJoe78

Mama Doe
Hello,

Lizzie has just worked out how to jump up on the sofa and is enjoying chewing great big holes in the fabric :x

The problem is that now we don't feel we can leave the buns alone in the livingroom incase she keeps doing this - the rest of the room is pretty bunny-proof. Smoky is fine - he doesn't chew and it's actually quite nice when he jumps up on the sofa next to us.

Does anyone have any tips or ideas for keeping her off the sofa? :roll:

I've never been able to train Millie to not come on the sofa. She always poos on there :roll:

I have a problem with a couple of wires and the fact she tries to squeeze under the sofa even though she's getting too big and gets stuck!!!

You could make a loud noise, grab her, and put her for time out
That's all i can think of

Can you encourage her down and each time she gets down reward her with a piece of her favourite food? It is something that would have to be done repeatedly so she get's used to the idea that by keeping off the furniture, it's better. You could sprinkle some treats around, hidden in toilet rolls or something to keep her busy and distracted from the sofa. There is also the chew stopper sprays that you could make your sofa 'smelly' for her soshe doesn't want to get on it. :)

Why don't you put an old blanket or sheet on the couch when the rabbit is running about in the living room so that if she jumps up she'll only nibble this and not your couch.All the best.

Can you name any of these sprays. My new settee has massive holes in it. I do try to protect it but Pipkin seemsto be able to get behind anything I put on the settee & then tries digging her way to Australia. All I can do is to put the stuffing back in but now theres not even enough outer covering on one seat to do that :shock:

Thanks for the suggestions - have put a throw over it just now, but she's chewed a hole in that!! Will try the treat thing tho... :)

Ellie never used to chew things but just recently she has chewed the settee, 2 dinning chairs, my hubbys socks!!! and nibbled his toes when he was asleep.
we have been doing the treat thing and that seems to work.
also plenty of wicker balls and hidden treats too!

Desty has a real addiction to chewing. I tried everything I knew to stop her and it never worked. So now I have some bitter apple spray. She absolutly hates it! Pulls such a face and runs a mile. She doesn't eat my sofa any more, or my jewlery box. She's switched to bags and skirting board now...but the spray is slowly working.

I spray what she can't chew and give her treats if she doesn't go for them.

Mine cost me about £7.99 from HERE

I have that and another one. Both say for dogs but they're good for bunnies too. I don't know where you can get the other one I have because I got it from the stockists directly when mom went to get her stuff. It's not as effective as my bitter apple one though.

Last edited:
No Ideas, but I have dogs which have recently found a taste for my sofa, so if anyone has any ideas of how to keep 4 dogs off a sofa I'll openly accept ANY advice!! :lol:

H xx

Same advice to you as just given about bunnies ^_^ The spray works on dogs too. You may have to shop around for a spray which is effective to your pets tastes though. I found sprays are subject to the individual pets taste.

Back