• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How old to spay??

millie

Warren Scout
I have a dwarf lop and I'm about to get her a neutered male friend. Read the literature and said they should both preferably be neutered to bond.

Any recommendations on age? And if it is definately necessary to spay her before bonding?

Thanks

From my own experience with bonding, a neutered female is often easier to bond than a male. (I bond two to three pairs a week).

Neutering females also protects them uterine cancer which is a silent cancer, a high proportion of older females will go on to develope this, often undertected.

some experienced vets will neuter females at 1 kg in weight others will insist between 4 - 6 months.

i'm definately going to get her neutered. Just wondered how olds old enough for a dwarf lop?
i've never tried to weigh her!!!

I just weighed her, she is about 3lbs 2 ounzes and is about 12-14 weeks old
She just totally scratched me trying to weigh her with me!!:roll:

i'm thinking she's too young...

i'd be scared i think.......

what do you think??????:wave::?

Last edited:
I have had litters come into the rescue and I get the girls done as soon as they are 1kg as this means they can stay with their brothers and I have also found that young rabbits come through the op very easily. :D

ETA I don't personally think she is too young.

I agree with Chloe ^^
Young buns come through the operation so much quicker. Our youngest, Trix was born Oct 31st 2007 and spayed Feb 29th 2008, so she was four months ... and was absolutely fine :)

She's getting a new male friend (hopefully) so will be spayed in the next few weeks *fingers crossed*!

:D:D:D

I can't believe she was so heavY!!

Back