• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dirty Bunny!

ribena

New Kit
Hi

My rabbit is very old now and he is getting very dirty fur. When he is running around in the garden he seems to spray urine upwards and it goes all over his white fur. I know you can't bathe rabbits but does anyone have suggestions on how to clean him?

Thanks!

You could try baby wipes, they won't hurt him and won't get him as wet as a proper wash.

I would probably pop him to a vet too, just to check there are not any underlying problems which are preventing him cleaning himself or urinating without spraying it everywhere.

Just sponge his fur with a damp warmish (not too warm)cloth.I know it's sad when they start getting older and can't wash.I had to occasionally bath my female rabbit only in the good weather when she got her bottom dirty when she couldn't clean right.I had her from a baby up until she was 8.She was amazing.:( Sll teh best.

Thanks for your replies. Luckily his bottom is always clean! He is about 9 years old so he's not bad for his age!

I wouldn't wet him in this weather though - it's still so cold :roll: If his bum's clean that's the main thing :)

I put a little bit of baby shampoo in warm water and give Misty a little sponge bath lol :lol: a wipe down with her towel and then she sorted :D

my rabbit has a dirty bum. I have tried the wipe that you can buy in pets at home. but she wont let me wipe her with then any help much appriciated.

xx

This is what we did to Fanta one of our elderly boarders who can no longer clean his bum.

Luke warm water, a little bit of bunny shampoo, pair of surgical glaves on and then gently tease any poo away. You will find the warmth of the water dissolves it too and it will just fall away.

HHFantabumsmall.jpg

aww thanks for that! Ill try give her a little bath, she will probably hate it!! :lol: If she hates it i will try the cornflour

xx

Back