• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Boarding or neighbours?

Deelove

Wise Old Thumper
I'll be away for a few days in June and hopefully Chris will be too. Our next door neighbours have offered to look after the pets if we ever go away but I don't like their children so I'm a bit dubious about it and would rather put them in boarding.

But is that just me being selfish and is it more stressful on the rabbits to travel and be in a new environment for what will only be 3-4 days? :? What's your opinions?

I know it's a long way off, planning in advance. :lol:

I prefer to leave my rabbits in their own environment as it's less stressful for them, but I am lucky that my neighbour is very good with them and texts me every day to let me know they're ok. She does tend to over-clean them out though!! I guess it comes down to do you trust your neighbour to care for your bunnies as you would wish, and to recognise/contact you if there are any problems.

hm.. See I have not really spoken to them. But Chris has and seems to think it's good they will look after our pets. I wouldn't be so worried about our cat since he would be able to get away from children they brought round etc, but if they are pestering the bunnies I'd be worried.

Are you away overnight anytime soon? Perhaps you could try them out for one night. When my neighbour first looked after mine I printed a 'care sheet' off for her, with what to give and when. I find the biggest problem with non rabbity people caring for our rabbits is they tend to want to feed them lettuce, cabbage, etc (I know I used to give our old neighbour's rabbit lettuce) so I laid out the guidelines first and now she knows what to feed them.

I get on really well with my next door neighbour, but I can't stand her kids and I have to say that although she would look after the animals, I do not want her youngest within 100 yards of them. He has no idea how to treat or behave around animals and I feel really sorry for the dog they got last year.

I am lucky that another of my neighbours is lovely so she looked after all but 2 of my buns, last week, the last 2 went into boarding as Peppers is on long term anti-biotics daily and I didn't think it was fair for my neighbour to have to deal with this. Sue is very experienced and was happy to take this on for me. I think you should go with your instincts so you do not worry while you are away.

I would say boarder all the way! Then again, mine go to kayj and I trust her 100% and know that if anything ever happened, she would make the right choice. Poor guinea piggy Mable got ill during her stay with kay and had to be pts. I know Kay was with her every step of the wayand that kay made the right decision.

I know that doesn't happen every time someone goes away, it's just I was relieved that I knew Mable was in the best hands possible.

If you trust your neighbours on the other hand, that is fine too :D I always like them with someone who knows what to do in an emergency though :)

As most of you know with having the rescue we don't go away, but we are going away in August for a long weekend to see Vic in Barcelona, I have got Karen (my fosterer) staying at my house looking after all the bunnies and the cat as I know they will get exactly the same level of care and attention that they get off me and I have got the dogs going to a friend who works for guide dogs who boards dogs in her own home. I will be able to go away knowing every animal is in the best hands possible. I would never trust anyone else other than these friends as I know they both know what decisions as regards my animals I would make.

Thanks Laura:D, for me making the right decision for Mable gave me my little Winnie pig would have rather had both of them though:(, But it was an awful decision to have to make

Last edited:
Have you not got a friend who could pop round?

I do this for my friend when she goes away, that way, she knows that someone who knows about rabbits is popping in to see them and will spot any problems.

My mother in law minds mine in there enviroment so there is no stress she is a big animal lover and i always leave instructions:lol:

My neighbours offer this too, but I'd much prefer them to go to stay with their auntie Kayj.

At least then I'd know that they were being fed and watered - which isn't something I want to have to worry about when I'm in Ibiza. And I know that, if anything happens to them, they'd be with Kayj who has great judgement and a super vet.

I'd board them... just for my own peace of mind xx

I'm not sure which would be more stressful for a rabbit - strange children around the house shrieking and trying to hold them (grabbing, dropping? :?) or a car journey and 3 days in a new environment, but presumably a quiet one (have you checked the boarders don't do dogs?) - tis tricky :?

Hi DeeLove.Have you been away before?Have they been boarded before?If you have no one you really really trust and feel comfortable with board them.Personally i couldn't but one i never go anywhere haha and two if i did my folks would look after my babies,i do for them.Follow your gut instincts.Does your neighbour know anything about rabbits for starters?If you think the neighbour is okay it's just their kids just tell them the rabbits don't like kids are scared.It's difficult,just think what is best for your rabbits.All the best.

Have you not got a friend who could pop round?

I do this for my friend when she goes away, that way, she knows that someone who knows about rabbits is popping in to see them and will spot any problems.

No, unfortunately none of our friends drive so to pop round would be quite inconvenient. Besides last time I left a friend to do it they lost my door key and although it was only over night and I only had Molly at the time it has left me untrusting.

Hi DeeLove.Have you been away before?Have they been boarded before?If you have no one you really really trust and feel comfortable with board them.

We haven't both been away since living together no.

It is really hard and I have too say. For years we never went away and even now I will not ever leave the animals for longer than a week, because I hate being away from them. O/h likes to take a break and I can't blame him for that, so we usually have a few days in the Spring and then again in late summer. I leave all the food, full instructions, emergency numbers, pet insurance details and all the vet details so my neighbour can come in and serve breakfast and dinner and play with them. She has had to call me before now, and I stay in touch, the key I guess is whether you trust your neighbour enough? We make sure the mobiles are on 24/7 and we don't go abroad, so we can always get back quickly if we have to.

This year was the first time we used boarding and as I know Sue anyway, I knew how she works, her premises and the service she would provide. The buns were not stressed at all being in different surroundings and were more than at home ( think they'd have been happy to stay)!:lol: I provided all the food, so no changes in diet and it was really successful. Good luck what ever you decide.:)

DeeLove if you know of a boarding place that takes rabbits and gets a good rep take them there.You's have never been away together and the last thing you need or want is someone who doesn't know what they are doing phoning you up panicking.You really don't sound sure about your neighbour and they would probably be in at your house too which can be daunting.You have time before you go to find a great holiday place for your bunnies to have a vacation in too.

I always prefer to board the rabbits, as although I have lovely neighbours who would happily oblige, I just don't think they know enough about rabbits to notice any subtle signs of illness. I prefer to leave the cats at home as they get horribly stressed by going elsewhere, but I personally think that boarding is preferable for the rabbits. I guess you'd have to take each case on its own merits and weigh up things like how good the boarder is, how far it is etc etc compared to leaving them at home.

I've told my neighbours that rabbits really need experienced eyes in case of any problems and they are fine with me boarding the rabbits and them just coming over to do the cats.

My rabbits go to Kayj's when i go on holiday, my dad has offered to come twice a dayto look after them but i feel safer them going to Kays has i know she would pick up if anything was wrong with them:D

im leaving my rabbits with a friend this year who has experience with rabbits.

yes they have bred their rabbits :)?) and none of their 5 are neuterd :)?) but they are all really well kept.
( i have given her loads of advice - seems that she didnt want to know :lol:)

best thing of all, its FREE! except all the presents you gotta get them for saying thank you :lol:

How about getting a pet sitter to come round twice a day, that way your bunnies get to stay in their own environment. The pet sitters we use are very professional, police checked, insured and showed us all the papers, and request all the information from us about the rabbits re. feeding, cleaning out, vets, if vaccinated etc. Even though I don't really like effectively strangers coming into the house, felt we had to try and trust someone or we wouldn't ever go away. I am much happier using pet sitters than neighbours doing a favour and you know they will contact you if there is a problem.

My rabbits go to Kayj's when i go on holiday, my dad has offered to come twice a dayto look after them but i feel safer them going to Kays has i know she would pick up if anything was wrong with them:D

My Dad has just offered to come stay with them. But I don't think I would take him up on it since he'd get bored and it's not fair on him, or my Mum who'd be left alone.

Hopefully have the boarding sorted now. :)

Back