• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bumble Bee in My Garden

Rosie Rabbit

Mama Doe
Caught this little chap sunning himself on my back door :)

Bit scary that close up, I think I prefer them from slightly further away :lol:

bumble005.jpg

That's a really good picture. I love bumble bee's. One landed on my friends lips when we were little and she freaked out, but my mum had trained me to stay still. I gently directed it away and was so thankful it didn't sting me I've liked them ever since. :lol:

:shock::shock::shock:

I heard a weird noise in the living room the other day and discovered the biggest bumble bee in the world. It was this big!
I I and had fangs!

EDIT: when I write the message those 'I's are about two inches apart!

:shock::shock::shock:

I heard a weird noise in the living room the other day and discovered the biggest bumble bee in the world. It was this big!
I I and had fangs!

EDIT: when I write the message those 'I's are about two inches apart!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

So it was this big then? :arrow: I .................................. I

That's a big bumble bee :lol: And visible fangs are not good :shock:

That's a really good picture. I love bumble bee's. One landed on my friends lips when we were little and she freaked out, but my mum had trained me to stay still. I gently directed it away and was so thankful it didn't sting me I've liked them ever since. :lol:

Blimey, that must have been scary for your friend :shock:

I like them too, I think I read that they're pretty gentle and don't sting unless really provoked.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

So it was this big then? :arrow: I .................................. I

That's a big bumble bee :lol: And visible fangs are not good :shock:

yes thats it and that was when it was hunched up! Yes visible fangs three eyes and tenticles. Very scary. :shock:

Bumble Bees are struggling. Bill Oddie did a big campaign to raise awareness. Their numbers are dwindling and they do such a vital task.

I love BBs and will actually move them to safety if I see them on the pavements etc. I provide them with a little sugar water if they seem to be lethargic.

I love their chubby little bodies lol

(I've lost it I fear heh heh)

ooooo What a lovely fella lol, you adopted him yet hehe

I would go for the first box as you can get more bees in there lol! and am sorely tempted to get one too, I love beesm had to rescue a very groggy wasp from my bathroom the other day!

xxxxx

That is a brilliant detailed photo. I have got a bumble bee box! There are quite a few for sale online - got mine from the RSPB website. Here is a bumble bee fact for you: They are called Dumbledores in old Dorset speak!:D

Bumble bees are on the decline so I'd get the second one :D they need all the help they can get.

Okies I will get one of those. I will see how much money I have left at the end of the month :) As long as it def houses bumblebees and not wasps!

Does anyone have a bumblebee box in theire garden (bought or homemade)? I'm going to get one but I don't know whether to get one of these:
http://www.complete-gardens.co.uk/shop/shop-gardening-product.php?id=16

or one of these:
http://www.complete-gardens.co.uk/shop/shop-gardening-product.php?id=43

:D

That's very interesting - I didn't know you could get bumblebee boxes :)

They do actually nest in our garden every summer - the back wall of our house has a little hole in the rendering at ground level and they come and go all summer from there. It's quite funny to watch them - I love them too :D

And racheld69 - I love that they are Dumbledores in old Dorset speak :shock: :lol:

Bumblebees do so much good, but I'm afraid they dont like me and my body doesn't lke them as I am allergic to their sting and carry an epi pen in the summer

Back