• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please Help U/D LAST PICS OF BABY B4 GOING :0)

montyflossy

Alpha Buck
Grants boss has bought round a tiny baby wild rabbit, no more than 10 days old. It is tiny and looks dehydrated. I am well aware I have practically 0 chance of succeeding but please advise.

So far I have:

put the baby in a nest on a snugglesafe

Syringe fed the baby about 0.5ml of full fat goats milk

Tried to toilet the baby but nothing came out.

The baby is currently in its nest covered and warm.

Anything else I can do?

Obviously i will be quaruntining and the baby is in my bedroom (the rest of the buns live outside)

Lucy x

Last edited:
Grants boss has bought round a tiny baby wild rabbit, no more than 10 days old. It is tiny and looks dehydrated. I am well aware I have practically 0 chance of succeeding but please advise.

So far I have:

put the baby in a nest on a snugglesafe

Syringe fed the baby about 0.5ml of full fat goats milk

Tried to toilet the baby but nothing came out.

The baby is currently in its nest covered and warm.

Anything else I can do?

Obviously i will be quaruntining and the baby is in my bedroom (the rest of the buns live outside)

Lucy x

If you can harvest some caecotrophs from a healthy adult Bun you could mix it in with the next Goats Milk feed. A bit gross, I know, but it may help the Baby Buns guts. I would also try to get Baby to take some cooled boiled water. If you have any Diorolyte then making that up with cooled boiled water and giving 2ml/hour for the next few hours may help rehydrate Baby if he/she is not already too 'shut down'
I would also try putting Baby on your chest ( in your bra :oops:) as he/she will get comfort from hearing your heartbeat.

Good luck Lucy

Janex

Unfortunately I fear the baby is too far gone, it looks so dehydrated. Thank you Jane for the suggestions - I will try but I know how near impossible it is with a 'healthy orphan' and this one is definitely not :cry:

It was found on a lawn :shock: with older teenage bunnies nudging it. I believe it was possibly expelled from the nest because it wasn't meant to be :cry:

Unfortunately I fear the baby is too far gone, it looks so dehydrated. Thank you Jane for the suggestions - I will try but I know how near impossible it is with a 'healthy orphan' and this one is definitely not :cry:

It was found on a lawn :shock: with older teenage bunnies nudging it. I believe it was possibly expelled from the nest because it wasn't meant to be :cry:

Awwwww well warmth and hearing a heartbeat will make Baby feel safe, even if he/she does just slip away..........:cry:

Janex

sending vibes for you and the baby. Like Jane said even if you only give it warmth and love thats going to be a valuable thing. hoping beyond hope that the little one makes it though

Baby still going this morning, I got up a few times in the night to feed and toilet him. One eye has opened this morning. I know I am fighting a losing battle but as long as he is warm with a full belly then I'm happy.

Sending lots of positive life vibes to you. I have an 8 day old kit that I am trying to handrear, although he does still have his mum - I know just how you feel. *** big hugs to you ****. You are doing a fantastic job. I didn't think my kit would last more than 3-4 days and he's still here. You can only try your best. If you had done nothing then he would definately have died. My kit is able to lick milk from my hands/fingers, so you could try that. I always warm the milk first, too so its like mums milk.

I took my baby to the vet and he had some Hartmans fluids subcutaneously as he was very dehydrated and it really worked a treat. My vet didn't charge me for it.

Back