• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bloody discharge?

Siona

Mama Doe
I just went to go and get the little buns in after their run around the garden and had real trouble getting Doris in, it took me nearly half an hour. As I was chasing her across the decking she left a trail of really dark red liquid which worried me :shock: so when I got her eventually I wrapped her in a towel because she was panicking so much (which is unusual) and looked underneath her.

She's plucked herself almost totally bald! :shock::shock: I looked in the sleeping compartment and there is the biggest nest I've ever seen! Nearly the whole compartment is full of fur.

THis is just over the last day or so. THats when I checked and saw her vulva looked bloody. There is no way she's pregnant as Dougal was snipped ages before we got her and they have been together months.

Do rabbits have periods? Could this be phantom pregnancy gone to extreme? either way she is in real emotional distress. :(:(
I've booked her in to the vet at 2.30 to see their best rabbit vet.

I don't have any advice, just wanted to send loads of vibes and wish you the best of luck at the vets xxx

How old is she?
Rabbits dont have periods, they are induced ovulators.
I am glad you are getting Doris to the Vet today. It sounds as though she needs to be spayed sooner rather than later.

Janex :)

Thanks for the vibes :wave::wave:

Jacks jane - she's just over 6 months. I know now is about the right time to do it but I'm unemployed at the moment so I was saving my pennies til I had enough money to do it. But I have an empty credit card for just this kind of emergency. :)

Oh I really hope she is ok :(

It does sound like she has a uterine related problem.. :( That or maybe a urine infection? I hope the vet can sort her out :)

Hope all goes well at the vets. Sounds hormonal so as Jane says spaying her will probably sort the problem.

What about PDSA? Do you have any in your area? I don't think they do spaying on request, but as she has an uunderlying problem they will probably do it?

OK, we got back :) Vet said she needs a spay desperately as she is very unhappy. (well duh! :roll:) but thinks she has a UTI. I took a swab of the fluid from the decking with me and he couldn't determine whether it was blood or not so she's on 0.4ml Baytril daily for 10 days to be safe, then spay after.

Does anyone else find that despite you using all the correct words and phrases and clearly being knowledgable about your bun and how to treat them, the vet still treats you like a 4 year old? :roll::lol:

I asked whether they use Cylap or Lapinject for the VHD but he still followed it with " I'm going to put her on an 'anti-biotic'" :roll: soooo.... Baytril then?

OK, we got back :) Vet said she needs a spay desperately as she is very unhappy. (well duh! :roll:) but thinks she has a UTI. I took a swab of the fluid from the decking with me and he couldn't determine whether it was blood or not so she's on 0.4ml Baytril daily for 10 days to be safe, then spay after.

Does anyone else find that despite you using all the correct words and phrases and clearly being knowledgable about your bun and how to treat them, the vet still treats you like a 4 year old? :roll::lol:

I asked whether they use Cylap or Lapinject for the VHD but he still followed it with " I'm going to put her on an 'anti-biotic'" :roll: soooo.... Baytril then?

Is 0.4ml baytril the correct dose for a bun? :shock: That's the amount my 4 month old rat is on :? [although you can get two strengths - is it 2.5 or 10%?]

Back