• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Poor Prudence Again !!!! UD been back to vets

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
It's only been 10 days since Prudence had a large cyst removed from her dewlap and it was healing nicely. But last night it had started to fill with fluid again and this morning it was even bigger.

I can't feel a cyst forming at the moment the whole thing is just filled with fluid. I've made her an appointment with Jen on Monday afternoon, but if it keeps growing I will probably need to take her in earlier. I am trying to keep it with the same vet at the moment.

I am heartbroken this has happened. This little bun has been through so much in her short life. She isn't even 3 yet. :(:(:(

Last edited:
Oh what a shame :cry:

The Vet said that the cyst could not be fuly excised last time didnt she :?
Would a permanent drain help I wonder :?

Janex

Thanks Jane I will ask about a drain. I must admit I'm very worried at the moment

I had a Bun who had a cyst removed from *his* :shock: :? :roll: dewlap. I guess the fact that it was just embedded in fat and not attached to anything 'important' that meant it could be fully excised. If thats not possible for Prudence then hopefully your Vet will come up with something to stop it filling up so quickly.
Please let us know how Prudence gets on.

Janex :)

Just got back from the vets, I'm not sure what to make of it all.

Prudence had a large amount of liquid drained from her neck. Once it was out Jen (vet) said the surrounding tissue felt abnormal.

She is not 100% convinced that the cyst was attached to the thyroid due to it's position. Unfortunately she did not do the original surgery as an emergency was brought in, so pru was operated on by a vet who doesn't know so much about buns.

This means that there is the possibility that it could be attached to her lymph node or even jugular. Obviously if it's on her jugular this is really bad news.

Because of this possibility we have decided to hold off on surgery for a couple of weeks to see if it refills with fluid. If it does we will have to operate, which will involve removing whatever the fluid is coming from, obviously if it's her jugular we will most likely lose her, and the abnormal tissue. Again this is very high risk as it is her neck.

If we get past those stages it will be sent off for analysis. Jen says the whole thing is very unusual and isn't optomistic if we need to go ahead with surgery :cry::cry::cry::cry: but we both feel it is likely she will need it.

On top of that I took up a piggy with a tumor which is now going to be operated on Thursday. We were hoping we could leave it as it is in a very awkward place for surgery, on the tip of her nose. There is not enough skin under the tumor for her to be stiched up plus it is where the mask for the GA needs to be :roll:

And I've booked one of the cats in for a dental next week.

It never ends :shock:

Just got back from the vets, I'm not sure what to make of it all.

Prudence had a large amount of liquid drained from her neck. Once it was out Jen (vet) said the surrounding tissue felt abnormal.

She is not 100% convinced that the cyst was attached to the thyroid due to it's position. Unfortunately she did not do the original surgery as an emergency was brought in, so pru was operated on by a vet who doesn't know so much about buns.

This means that there is the possibility that it could be attached to her lymph node or even jugular. Obviously if it's on her jugular this is really bad news.

Because of this possibility we have decided to hold off on surgery for a couple of weeks to see if it refills with fluid. If it does we will have to operate, which will involve removing whatever the fluid is coming from, obviously if it's her jugular we will most likely lose her, and the abnormal tissue. Again this is very high risk as it is her neck.

If we get past those stages it will be sent off for analysis. Jen says the whole thing is very unusual and isn't optomistic if we need to go ahead with surgery :cry::cry::cry::cry: but we both feel it is likely she will need it.

On top of that I took up a piggy with a tumor which is now going to be operated on Thursday. We were hoping we could leave it as it is in a very awkward place for surgery, on the tip of her nose. There is not enough skin under the tumor for her to be stiched up plus it is where the mask for the GA needs to be :roll:

And I've booked one of the cats in for a dental next week.

It never ends :shock:

Oh goodness !! :shock: :? :cry:

I really hope that your Vet can resolve Prudence's problems. It must be such a worry for you.
And then you have the Piggie and Puddy-Tat to fret about too !! :shock: :cry:

Sending a shed load of vibes for all of them

Janex

Back