• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Cage Warning

misspiggy

Mama Doe
Yesterday Sophie either tried to jump on top of Rosie's cage or was binkying over enthusiastically, and somehow managed to get her back leg trapped in the wire bars on top of the cage.

I could hear screaming, and didn't realise what it was at first (I thought it was kids messing about outside). When I realised it was a rabbit screaming I ran in and saw Sophie hanging from the top of the cage by her back leg. I managed to pick her up and free the leg, but it scared me so much I felt sure her leg must be broken so I rushed her to the vets.

Fortunately she didn't break or dislocate anything, just very sore and shook up. So she is home now with some metacam.

I thought I had better share this in case anyone is using a wire cage. I never even thought anything like this would happen. Needles to say, I have removed the cage and I'm using a hutch instead.

By the way the cage is a Ferplast 100:

rabbit100new.jpg

If anyone has a cage with a flip down door this can be lethal too.....we had ours reversed so it opened upwards.

Glad your bunny is OK :)

When I use the indoor cages I always remove the top if the buns were out of it just in case one of them decided to jump on top. I'm so glad that you were on hand to hear the kerfuffle, and that Sophie's OK.

Any of the wire top cages are dangerous,i always cover the tops over if the rabbits are out
Hope sophie is ok x

i have an indoor cage that they use as a dig box but i keep a blanket on top. it also makes it seems like a little den for them and they spend hours in there!

Blankets are good, or something like carpet tiles - need to be careful they can't dislodge them though. :)

Thanks everyone, Sophie seems fine today:)

I was shaking for ages after it happened, it was really scary :shock:. I've never heard a rabbit screaming before, but I know I never want to hear it again *shudders*

I awlays cover the top of the cage with a thick blanket as Willow likes to jump on the top. And the little ramp door has a piece of carpet over it.

Poor poor bunny....

I hate it when you hear them scream because they are so frightened and you feel helpless.

My dog had his leg bandaged up and decided to jump on top of the rabbit run, because of the dressing he got his leg caught in one of the metal grids and he literally squealed.

Just to add the runs are redundant, my rabbits don't use them :oops:

i always crowd the top with carboard boxes old cereal boxes and things like bunnys towels spare clean cuddly toys..my tv guide whatever and they look and go..blimey shes soooooo untidy im not getting up there with that lot!:lol:
dont knock it it works!

im sorry she had such a scary time poor thing........thats the only advantage to dog crates;) but i dont want either the cage or dog crate i want a two tier hutch inside for when theyre bonded plus a playpen/run much safer!

That happened to Emrys once when I took the cardboard of his cage for a few mins and tunred my back. He had his forepaw stuck and struggled to get it out. He bbecame aggressive when I got his paw out too and he ran on three legs for about half an hour. the vet said it was lucky he did not break or sprain it. Now I never uncovere the top of his cage, its just too risky.

oh dear glad nothing serious happened hun:shock: yes putting something on top is a good idea or if you have open down doors when we had a cage like that we put some wood on it

we now have a dog crate a pink one you may have seen our piccies posted a while back and ive rapped feelce all the way around it, they only use it as a reatreat anyway as my bunnies do have free run of my bedroom which is why i normally call it their room:lol:

but it is a good idea to warn others about any possible dangers

lisa

I have that cage and will be using it in the near future. Thank you for the warning. I think i'll fit some perspex onto the top so it still lets in some light but is safe to jump on. And also get the flap adjusted so it can be taken off when it's open

I have that cage and will be using it in the near future. Thank you for the warning. I think i'll fit some perspex onto the top so it still lets in some light but is safe to jump on. And also get the flap adjusted so it can be taken off when it's open

thats a good idea:)

Back