• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dentals

Indiechic

Wise Old Thumper
If a bun has two have its incisors out, and has to have a dental with burring for the back molars, how much should it cost?

Bailey had his teeth trimmed afew weeks ago, and they are getting long again... the vet had asked me to consider having them taken out.

As hes only had them trimmed once, should I get them done again? and see how long it takes for them to grow back? or should I just get them out?

She said he may need his back teeth burring at some point, but they didn't need to be done last time I was there.

Any advice would be useful... ive never had a dental bun before x

well my cookie just had all hes incisors out and it cost me £65.00 and whilst he was out they check hes molars and they was fine :)

well my cookie just had all hes incisors out and it cost me £65.00 and whilst he was out they check hes molars and they was fine :)

What changes do you have to make for his diet with no incisors? Just wondering as I think Dillon might need to have his taken out.

Lian x

My general rule is, if the bunny in question is very nervous and conscious clipping stresses them terribly or if they are having a dental less than every 8 weeks I will have the incisors removed.

Its an unpleasent procedure which involves a bit of brutality on the vets part to get the root out in one go and also to make sure the root pulp is well destroyed to prevent them growing back.

My vets estimate there is about a 10% chance of teeth regrowing, though its more likely to be the peg teeth than the incisors as the root pulp is harder to remove.

It costs £100 at my vets and the rabbits have painrelief for 5 days after the op and abx for 7.

Dietary changes are small once they have recovered but they have to learn to use their lips to grab food. Hay may need to be cut into shorter strands and veggies usually need to be cut up small into bite sized pieces.

Immediately after the op pellets need to be mushed (mixing with fruit baby food is more paletable) and they may not be able to manage larger pellets such as SS for a few weeks.

Mackenzie will more than likely be having his incisors removed in a few weeks.

My general rule is, if the bunny in question is very nervous and conscious clipping stresses them terribly or if they are having a dental less than every 8 weeks I will have the incisors removed.

Its an unpleasent procedure which involves a bit of brutality on the vets part to get the root out in one go and also to make sure the root pulp is well destroyed to prevent them growing back.

My vets estimate there is about a 10% chance of teeth regrowing, though its more likely to be the peg teeth than the incisors as the root pulp is harder to remove.

It costs £100 at my vets and the rabbits have painrelief for 5 days after the op and abx for 7.

Dietary changes are small once they have recovered but they have to learn to use their lips to grab food. Hay may need to be cut into shorter strands and veggies usually need to be cut up small into bite sized pieces.

Immediately after the op pellets need to be mushed (mixing with fruit baby food is more paletable) and they may not be able to manage larger pellets such as SS for a few weeks.

Mackenzie will more than likely be having his incisors removed in a few weeks.

Thanks, that is a great help for me. At the moment, Dillon goes every 3-4 weeks and I've just noticed one of his incisors has actually broken away so he is booked into the vets to see what they say now. I'm guessing they will now decide to have them removed completely. Glad to hear they cope ok and the changes to diet aren't a problem.

Quite often if a rabbit has been having ongoing burrs for sometimes the teeth are easier to remove as burring weakens the root.

I had a very nervous rabbits incisors removed and he was eating within 20 minutes of arriving home :shock: I actually planned to tke time of work to nurse him but he was fine :)

I know Anita pops a couple of stitches into the gum and I dont know if this made a difference or not.....other vets I know of leave the gaps open, though I think this makes infection more likely IMO.

Quite often if a rabbit has been having ongoing burrs for sometimes the teeth are easier to remove as burring weakens the root.

I had a very nervous rabbits incisors removed and he was eating within 20 minutes of arriving home :shock: I actually planned to tke time of work to nurse him but he was fine :)

I know Anita pops a couple of stitches into the gum and I dont know if this made a difference or not.....other vets I know of leave the gaps open, though I think this makes infection more likely IMO.

If they suggest removal, am I best taking Connie along with him. They haven't been together for long and I wouldn't want Connie becoming territorial if Dillon has been away overnight. Even if it is done in a day, because they don't open early enough for me to drop him off in the morning, they let them stay overnight the night before.

Yes do take Connie with Dillon, they recover better with their partners too ;)

The vets will probably keep them in a cage next to each other whilst he comes round before putting them back together, although they may keep them apart longer if they wish to monitor eating/toileting habits.

I once dropped 5 of mine off together to have two girls speyed and when I collected them the nurses had muddled everybun up and put them with the wrong partners :shock:

Thanks, I will insist they go together, even if they are kept in separate cages, at least Connie isn't at home alone in their terriority.

I totally regret not insisting I bring Dillon when I rushed Pippa to the vets. They said not to on the phone but Pippa died within 12 hours and Dillon never did see her body which I think made it much harder for him :cry:

Back