• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Myxi vaccine in Australia

signed:D
why wont they allow the myxi vaccine?
Sallyx

Wild rabbits are pests in Aus and myxi is/was used to try and control them.

The fear is that is a vaccinated pet bun got out it may bring some form of resistance to any semi-wild offspring it may produce.

Please sign this petition to help get the Myxi vaccine allowed in Aus. The poster lost her rabbits to Myxi because they are not allowed the vaccine, she did all she could but of course they had to be PTS. :cry:

http://www.gopetition.com.au/petitions/make-myxomatosis-vaccine-legal.html

Sadly rabbits are ideally suited to life in Australia and in the absense of preditors the problems they have caused is immense.

Without comment on rights or wrongs of this issue , I would urge anybody thinking of signing any petition to aquaint themselves with the full facts of the problem and the use of this blunt instrument to control numbers.

As far as I am aware it is unclear whether a vaccinated rabbit that has survived myxo (ie skin myxo) has attained any resistance to the desease. Someone will no doubt correct me on this but if it does I feel their response or worries to the issue may well be justified in relation to the problem they have.Even if resistance is not kept or pssed on a vaccinated rabbit in the absense of pretitors can produce a lot of offspring whilst protected

Myxo and hvd sadly for them are one of the few effective ways of controlling the numbers of an animal that should not be in their ecosystem to start with and before we try ourselves to get involved we must remember that we are not the ones that will suffer if it all goes wrong or in fact suffer the problem to start with.

I would hate for anybody to get offended by my reply as rabbit welfare is what we believe in dearly but also I do believe we sign petitions sometimes with our hearts rather than our heads and this maybe is a perfect example of that.

At our old vets, we used to have a vet who came over here every 6 months from Australia and she was explaining how they are vermin over there. They are not seen as pets and very few people keep them. :cry::cry:

At our old vets, we used to have a vet who came over here every 6 months from Australia and she was explaining how they are vermin over there. They are not seen as pets and very few people keep them. :cry::cry:

An Aussie Vet once prescribed ORAL Penicillin for one of my Buns .........:shock:

Thankfully I was aware of what would happen if I administered it

Janex

An Aussie Vet once prescribed ORAL Penicillin for one of my Buns .........:shock:

Janex

:shock::shock: I never took my bunnies to her, she was fab with the cats though but no way was she treating my bunnies :shock:

Janex

An aussie vet (not my usual vet may i add) didnt know how to administer the myxi vaccine correctly... she had to read the leaflet after i told her how i wanted it done. :cry:

Back