• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

how many vegies/fruits a day?

Hello

I personally do not feed vegetables to my rabbit everyday. She has a small piece of carrot or cabbage every other day. She has fresh hay everyday and a small handful of pellets in the evening.

My rabbit is nearly totally on the hay and veggie diet, she has unlimited hay and tonnes of veggies every day (a huge heaped plate full)...at least 6-7 different varieties every day which change on a weekly basis. She also gets dry or fresh herbs every day. She only gets fruit as a treat (once or twice a week). She only gets about 11g of dry pellets simply because she loves them. Her digestive system is perfect and this suits her well, however I built her up to this amount slowly and took 2 months to wean down the dry pellets.

thanks everyone. if there are more, i'd like to know them.

yesterday they skipped veggies.
today i gave them both a little lettuce ear thing (about 6 inches high and like 4 inches wide) each. then i gave them both to baby carrots (like 2 inches long and 1/2 and inch wide) and let them split celery.

i feel i have to feed Sid this everyday because he wont eat the pellets.
Wiggles on the other hand.... he's addicted to pellets and i have to watch the amount i give him.

I would think any balanced rabbit food was sufficient without the need for add ons, add maybe a treat once in a while is enough for variety..animals aren't like us that don't get bored with food.. they eat when it suits them... in summer an animal will certainly eat less for example...

I try and give them 2 or 3 kinds a day. The equivalent of a spring green leaf and a quarter of a carrot each. Obviously differs depending on the type of veg. The outside buns get a small dish full a day. Have to chop theirs up or they'd just spend their time chasing each other around. :rolleyes:

Hi, a wordof warning i wouldn't feed your rabbit any type of lettuce, if you do i would only give them a very very small amount each week. Its bad for rabbits i heard, just a heads up on it :)

I think it's important to be consistent in what and when you feed. So my rabbits get vegetables every day. They normally get two different types. Greens are part of their staple veg diet - added to this is kale, brocolli, carrot, apple and other bits of fruit at less frequent intervals, mainly as a treat as they are high in suger. They get a bowl full... not weighed it though so would be difficult for me to say an exact quantity! They don't have any problems with weight of droppings so it must be about right. If they've been on the grass I reduce the amount of veg they get accordingly.

As other have said hay will form the main part of their diet which is then supplemented by pellets, veg and fruit.

Hannah

my bun is not overly keen on veg, her last owners did feed her some carrot but mostly pellets and hay...I give her a small bowl of rabbit mix and some spring greens every day...I have just discovered she is fond of parsley and lemon balm...I give her a couple of leaves a day. :)

Mine get a rich tea in the morn and some pellets ( half a bowl between two, with some herbs plus mix spinkled in)

Hay all day (unlimited

pellets for tea and a big bowl of sping greeens, cucmber raddishes (varies from day to day)

some fresh herbs when i go to bed, (a sprig of parsley, basil mint)

every few days they get some milk drops or dried apple whcih they go CRAZY for! and they are happy n healthy (if a little greedy) buns!!! :lol::lol:

mine get a carrot each and a good double handful of either spring greens, brocolli, kale and sometimes dandelions and grass (they are on the concrete at moment). This is in the morning they get a handful of hay when i get back from work (they have hay in their hutch) and a bowl of Excel in the evenings (it was all they were fed until they came to me and they love it soooo much i have weaned them down to one bowl a day and decided to leave it at that)...
They are a good weight and their teeth are fine and they have good energy so its working for them... they also get half an apple each once or twice a week... I have tried them on other veg but they just dont eat them!

Edited to say that mine are not great hay munchers and only really have a proper munch after i have cleaned them out, and when they go on the grass the veg will decrease a tiny bit...

Last edited:
the bloke i work with doesnt give his bun any veg at all :shock::shock::shock: he was just as shocked by my vid and how much my pair get as i was that his dont get any at all :lol::lol:

My Millie gets some broccoli or carrots or green cabbage in the morning cut up into small pieces, plus a bowl of pellets and a load of hay (about half the size of her body) everyday, always in the morning. that's just about enough for her as she's only 3 months old.

The breeder I got her from told me to never feed her fruit/treats you get from pet shops and that Wagg optimum premium pellets are the best for her.

It's upto the individual owner/rabbit in the end but i always make sure she has hay

:D

Back