• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Guinea pig nose bleeds

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
Hazel is a 4 year old piggy with kidney failure. She is very skinny, but also very bright in herself. Over the weekend she has started sneezing, which she has picked up from another piggy in the group. She is on 0.2ml of Septrin 2x daily. Today her nose has started bleeding from the sneezing. I've cleaned her up and she seems fine.

Do you think she needs to go back to the vets or do you think I should give the Septrin more time to work ( she's been on it since Monday) ? I don't want to stress her out with another appointment if there is nothing else they can offer her.

Also Hilary who started with the sneezing, still hasn't fully recovered despite medication. She was on baytril for 2 weeks, which didn't help and then Septrin for 10 days. This stopped the sneezing for awhile but as soon as the meds stopped it came straight back. Her chest is clear it is just in one side of her nose and she is fine in herself. Is there anything else I can try to help her too?

Yes, I would take her to the vet so that the vet can take a look. I have heard and seen my Guinea Pigs sneeze but never heard of a Guinea Pig nose bleed before, so I would get her checked.
HTH
minty

It could be something to do with the septrin but you really need to take the wee one back to the vets to get checked.All the best.

Back