• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fly Screens

cheekytikki

Wise Old Thumper
as it is that getting near fly season i think i might update the old fly screens. at the moment they have the fly fabric stuff stuck across the window which works great unless you want to open/close the window then you are in trouble!
wondered if i could make a sort of wooden frame with either fabric or very fine mesh across then make a little 'door' where the window handl;e is to make opening/closing the window easier so i dont have to keep taking the screen down each time.

i also have those sticky fly trap things one hangs from the ceiling and there is one on the window but might move that one as once the room is moved around not sure if they might be able to reach the windowsill

how do other people protect from flies?

In the last couple of weeks I have completely covered all the hutch fronts and run. I use net curtaining pulled tightly and then staple gunned into place. There is no way a fly can get to my bunnies.

Assuming this is the case I can also assume they cant get flystrike or myxi?? Correct me if I am unduly confident in this if its not true.

I bought stick on velcro, stuck the 'hooky' side on the window frame, and cut a piece of nylon net to fit the window frame, and stuck the 'fuzzy' side of the velcro to this fabric - stapling it at the corners for strength. When I want to open the window, I just rip the velcro apart at the bottom of the window frame, open window and latch it, then stick the velcro back down again - works perfect :)

I've got some fly blocks from wilkinsons (rentokil slow release insect repellant), which I stand outside when the rabs are out in summer, or put in the shed when the door's open at dusk - I've also bought some citronella barbeque candles for the patio if we have any hot summer nights *falls about laughing* :rolleyes:

Fly screens complete with velcro and weights now in at Lidl. £1.99 for a pack for two human sized doors or windows.

Get them quick!

OMG - I hadn't even though about fly screens yet - hutches have their rain covers down most of the time now as its always raining.

2 storey hutch where do I get fly screens from:shock:

At the moment i have 3 citronella buckets which i light on sunny days(when we get them)but going to get a bit of netting to protect then a bit more.

my local pound shop is selling fly screens, fly papers and other bits, i got myself stocked up! they also had some mosquito repellers but i wounder if the actually work!

Back