• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rabbit harness and leads...good or bad

muffinsmum

Warren Scout
I was wondering about rabbit harness and leads, are they good to use? I would love my bunny to explore the garden but it is not bunny safe and I have no way of making it so at the moment, do any members recommend using the leads? are there good ones to buy? and how long should buns be allowed to use them? a couple of the books on rabbits I have say yes and one other says no....I like the idea for short periods of time.....but would love to here from anyone here first before I purchase one! :)

I'm not a fan of them personally, I know none of my buns would enjoy being harnessed! I know others on here have previously posted that their buns like them, so I guess it's a personal choice. I think a better option would be to make the garden rabbit proof if at all possible.

depends on the bun I guess. My rabbits are fine and get excited when they see them :lol: but you must never pull on them and if it gets scared you shouldn't try and hold it back, just go with it otehrwise it could get injured

Hi :wave:

I don't think there is a definiate right or wrong with them, just personal preference and depends on the individual rabbit etc...

Dillon has been on a harness and lead was he was younger and was absolutely fine, I used an automatic retractable dog lead so to avoid getting tangled but I wouldn't have used it on Pippa as she was very timid and would never attempt to use on Connie as she is extremely active and a huge leaper! :lol:

Lian x

hi

My bun hates having it put on and off but once it's on he doesn't notice. I think give it a go, being safe is more important than a few mins of squirming to get it on. Just make sure it's a good fit, not too tight and not too loose.

thanks all, any brand better than others? I have been looking on ebay, can anyone recommend a seller? :wave:

I don't know of any sellers in UK, but try to avoid harnesses with the ring fastened on the middle. It should be on the back like this:
HitoZakura.jpg

This is because the harness shouldn't put a strain on the neck or the rabbit might get problems breathing (I doubt it'd be enough to kill it, unless you purposely drag the rabbit along backwards for some time, but its uncomfortable)
With the lead fastened on the back, the strain is better balanced.
Zakura's harness had the ring on the middle, but I put a keyring on the back so now it works fine.
In Norwegian Rabbit Show Jumping you're not allowed to use harnesses with rings fastened on the middle, and since rabbits can be just as active in a competition as in the garden, I apply that "rule" even when I'm walking them in the garden.

The one in the pic is of the brand "Bunny Sports". I have two of those for my rexes, about the only Show Jumping approved harness you can get in Norwegian Pet Stores.

Last edited:
I wouldn't use them, because our bunny was exploring the garden with us on her lead, and she slipped out of it, luckily she was to interested in the grass to run away !!!! :lol: :lol:
We tried tightening the lead a bit more but it still slipped off. It may just of been the make of bunny lead, but I don't know.
HTH
minty

I wouldn't use them, because our bunny was exploring the garden with us on her lead, and she slipped out of it, luckily she was to interested in the grass to run away !!!! :lol: :lol:
We tried tightening the lead a bit more but it still slipped off. It may just of been the make of bunny lead, but I don't know.
HTH
minty

Sounds like you have a very slippery bunny then:D
I've experienced this once in guinea pigs..which is why I never put harnesses on rodents:roll: They slip right through, possibly unless you tighten the harness so much it can't breathe:?

Marble loves his, I attach his lead to a 20m rope so he can explore the garden.

I also take him to the vets on his lead instead of puting him in a box, He loves having a good look around!

I think it depends on the bunny, I wouldnt use it if he didnt like it.

Heres poppy my 9 week old flemish on a lead for the first time.

marblepoppyapril08004.jpg

And this is marble on the rope.
marblepoppyapril08017.jpg

My bunny loves hers although she is the size of a little dog lol
I think it depends on the bunnie to be honest!

Marble loves his, I attach his lead to a 20m rope so he can explore the garden.

I also take him to the vets on his lead instead of puting him in a box, He loves having a good look around!

I think it depends on the bunny, I wouldnt use it if he didnt like it.

Heres poppy my 9 week old flemish on a lead for the first time.

marblepoppyapril08004.jpg

And this is marble on the rope.
marblepoppyapril08017.jpg

Be careful about leaving it on such a long lead, it can get its feet entangled:cry: This is what scares a lot of rabbits (and owners) out of using harnesses, I've experienced it once or twice, so now I keep a close eye on their feet while out walking, and try to keep the lead of the ground.

Also, youngsters shouldn't be harness-trained before they are 3 months old as their skeleton is still very fragile...not that Zakura hasn't worn a harness before (first time at 5 weeks then again at 7... though only for short periods) but this is what Norwegian Show jumpers recommend.

One of the most important rules is:
Never leave a rabbit wearing a harness unattended.

thanks everyone, I might invest in one later in the summer, our bun is just getting used to being with us and I don't want to stress her. :wave:

Be careful about leaving it on such a long lead, it can get its feet entangled:cry: This is what scares a lot of rabbits (and owners) out of using harnesses, I've experienced it once or twice, so now I keep a close eye on their feet while out walking, and try to keep the lead of the ground.

Also, youngsters shouldn't be harness-trained before they are 3 months old as their skeleton is still very fragile...not that Zakura hasn't worn a harness before (first time at 5 weeks then again at 7... though only for short periods) but this is what Norwegian Show jumpers recommend.

One of the most important rules is:
Never leave a rabbit wearing a harness unattended.

Wish I listened to this great advice insted of learning the hard way...

I know buns who are fine with it but I personally dont like the idea :) I would rather get a large secure run and let them play in part of the garden than put my buns on a harness and let them play in the whole garden x

my 2 rabbits both went on leads. pepsi is 9 months and came from a breeders shedso never ever seen grass. lucky i had a lead as she got totally over excited and was like a jack russell leaping and pulling.
cocoa however was on a lead i had newly aquired. pepsi had a clip on one where as cokey had more of a harness.
well my boyf had his lead looped under his chair, and we didnt even realise he had escaped as he was so greedy he was just eating the grass.
i had assmebled it as the pack told me but obviously i had gone wrong somewhere!!!!!!!!!!! if that had been pepsi i no i wouldnt have seen her again!!!!!!!!!!!! to be fair i dont even think cokey realised he'd stepped out of the lead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hayleyx

( miss you okey cokeyxxxxx)

I know buns who are fine with it but I personally dont like the idea :) I would rather get a large secure run and let them play in part of the garden than put my buns on a harness and let them play in the whole garden x

I prefer runs too since then I won't have to chase after them all day:lol: But my garden isn't fenced in and its positioned in a way that its hard to put a large run there:roll: So occasionally I use the harnesses instead, also when I am away on vacation or at school.

Back