• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pasha's Weeping Eye - Now looking very sore

Mart

Mama Doe
We mentioned on Sunday about Pasha's weeping eye, which seemed to clear up after washing with a saline solution.

It's come back again this morning, and briefly looked a touch sore again on Tuesday evening (slight redness around the eye).

It looks as though this is an intermittant problem - that lasts for anything from a couple of hours - to a day.

The weeping is clear and, apart form the slight redness around the eye itself, there are no other symptoms (that we can see).

Any idea what could be causing this ?

Allergy to hay ? (althuogh it is the same large pack as he's been on for at least a month)

Nothing in his environment has changed (bedding, hay, food etc.)

Anybody else expereince something similar ?

I think we'll go to the vets, but it always seems to clear up before we go.

Martin

Last edited:
conjunctivitus, tooth root probs(only seen on an xray) could be an allergy and could be something like dust getting in eye could be myxi tho iwould expect by now lumps to have appeared and for her to be getting more poorly in herself, vet would no more probs tho hope it gets better soon

The vet gave him a good look over.

He used a coloured drop (iodine coloured) in the eye (went orange and then green) he said we should notice some discharge via the nose - and that would give an indication that there are no blockages.

Also gave us an ointment - Fucithalmic Viscous drops - for administering once per day.

Pasha looks very miserable now - more form indignation at being prodded and carted to the vets we hope.

Martin

The vet gave him a good look over.

He used a coloured drop (iodine coloured) in the eye (went orange and then green) he said we should notice some discharge via the nose - and that would give an indication that there are no blockages.

Also gave us an ointment - Fucithalmic Viscous drops - for administering once per day.

Pasha looks very miserable now - more form indignation at being prodded and carted to the vets we hope.

Martin
let me just tell you that the fucithalmic drops really sting so will prob not like having them in there are good alternatives someone told me to try tiacil when i had a bun needing drops. dont know if they do same thing im sure someone will help!(obviously if they gota have them they gota have the ones needed!!)

:wave:with my bunnies that have eye weepy eye problems they have chlorempanical drops which seem to work well, and the vet flushes a lttle through after the saline solution.

let me just tell you that the fucithalmic drops really sting so will prob not like having them in there are good alternatives someone told me to try tiacil when i had a bun needing drops. dont know if they do same thing im sure someone will help!(obviously if they gota have them they gota have the ones needed!!)

He was really good while we administered it - didn't fidget at all, and let us work the ointment in my very gently massaging around his eyes.

He's now causing his usual mayhem at this time of night - always trying to find new ways of distracting me from the computer (normally from getting as high as he can on shelves and furniture)

Martin

His eye looks really sore this morning, the surround is very reddish, and it is still weepeing (still clear).

I suppose this could be the eye-cream causing it to look worse. He still doesn't look at all bothered by it, no additional cleaning or rubbing, still very lively and following his normal routines.

We'll administer the cream again tonight - and see what happens, if it still looks as red, i think we'll take him to the vets again tomorrow.

Anyone had any exp with the cream ? - and did it have similar side effects ?

Fucithalmic Viscous drops

thanks

Martin

Hi Martin :wave:

I have used Fucithalmic on numerous Buns without problems. But of course anyBun can have a reaction to a medication. Personally I'd give the Vet a call and mention what has happened *before* applying any more.

Did the Vet mention elongated tooth roots as being a *possible* cause of Pasha's runny eye ? Sometimes an elongated tooth root can press on the nasolacrimal duct causing it to block or partially block. This results in a weepy eye that is *not* always infected

Janex :)

Hi Martin :wave:

I have used Fucithalmic on numerous Buns without problems. But of course anyBun can have a reaction to a medication. Personally I'd give the Vet a call and mention what has happened *before* applying any more.

Did the Vet mention elongated tooth roots as being a *possible* cause of Pasha's runny eye ? Sometimes an elongated tooth root can press on the nasolacrimal duct causing it to block or partially block. This results in a weepy eye that is *not* always infected

Janex :)

Hi jane,

he did a fairly thorough examination (didn't check the teeth though) - he used the coloured solution and had suggested that there was possibly no blockage, he had also mentioned possible reactions to the ointment - specifically the possibility of a reaction between the coloured solution he used and the ointment (he wanted us to leave 'about 2 hours' between them - we actually left 3, but it could have been a reaction in Pasha to either, or a combination of the 2)

He wanted us to keep an eye on him, but I think we'll follow your advice and give them a call this afternoon (although the are usually - understandably - very reticient to give advice over the phone, and normally want us to pop in with him)

Thanks

Martin

I know my rabbit would have a red weeping eye if he stayed too much where drafts were (like next to a door when the window is open)... but i guess that only applied if he's an indoor bunny...

Back