• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Found Blood in cage :( Help Please

sunflower4357

Young Bun
Hey

I went to feed the rabbits this morning but found some blood in the cage, it was dry and there was a few splats nearby, Im really worried as I dont know where its comes from?

I have two rabbits in the hutch and attached run, I checked Sophie she seemed fine no blood on her anywhere? I couldnt check fluffy as he woulgnt let me get hold of him (he has all white coat fur so i checked him visually best I could) and there doesnt seem to be blood on him either?

Nothing Could have really got into the run as its blocked from everywhere plus I keep them in the garage, Im really worrried, any advice?

Cheers

Hi - sorry to hear about the blood!

Not that this might be it but a couple of weeks ago I found splats of pee with blood in it, looked just like blood stains (some pictures on this site http://blog.kaninur.org/ - scroll all the way down). It turned out my girl had a urinary tract infection (she was a bit messy around her vagina).

You probably have to try and get hold of Fluffy and give him a proper check.

Sorry that I can't be of more help! Hopefully someone else will be around soon to help you! :wave:

Have you checked to see if there are any claws missing:D what age is your female and has she been neutered?

Have you checked to see if there are any claws missing:D what age is your female and has she been neutered?

Check claws:D I found blood all over Calel's section & after a mad panic thinking he had tried to eat his girlfriend, I found a claw had been broke low down. I cut the end off & dabbed some wound powder on it & it was fine. I was surprised by how much blood there was though:shock:

Years ago one of my sisters buns caught a claw and ripped it clean out - I've never seen so much blood from something like that so def check the claws.

Thanks to everyone who replied. I was very worried that I ended up calling the vet and getting her to check them both out. She said they both were fine but yet she still put Sophie on antibitoics? which I couldnt quiet understand.:roll:

Also she said it was nothing to worry about and to treat Sophie with the antibiotics for the next couple of days and she will be ok.

Im still so confused as she didnt really tell me much, she even at one point said to give both of them the anti biotics even though fluffy doesnt need them, i asked well wont it affect him if I gave them to him when he doesnt need them? and she just said yeah probably. Im not impressed with my visit there tbh and still dont know 100% the root of the problem.

Back