• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

ArgHHHH abcess Update sad news

kayj

Wise Old Thumper
I have a little lionhead come in he is only approx 8mths old and has been attacked by another rabbit. Anyway I have kept a really close eye on his bite wounds and last night one of them as abcesses. I have opened it up and drained as much pus as I can and put him on baytril and will continue to bathe and drain it twice a day and keep him on the baytril and adrop of metacam, my vet isn't in till saturday so I will take him then unless of course it looks like it is going worse. (It is on his back)
I have read in my Francis H brown book that honey is good, as anyone tried it? If so what effect did it have.
Anyone else any ideas:D

Last edited:
Oh you're brave to open it yourself ,that would make my stomach churn!

I'm quite happy to deal with them after the vet has done his/her bit but I couldn't do that!

Good luck with it !

If someone would have asked me to do something like that a few years ago I would have said 'you av got to be joking' :lol:but nothing bothers me anymore as regards the rabbits but I definately couldn't do it on a human.

Kay, my vet Paula uses Honey after she has opened up the abcess. She also gets me to put honey on at home. :D

:wave: Hello stranger:D Timmy as been banished into a shed with Mayo & Branston he is a naughty boy but so funny with loads of character:lol::lol::lol::lol: He can't do as much damage in the shed as he can in the garage. He got good at opening hutch doors and letting rabbits play out with him and the other two:D:lol::lol::lol:

:wave: Hello stranger:D Timmy as been banished into a shed with Mayo & Branston he is a naughty boy but so funny with loads of character:lol::lol::lol::lol: He can't do as much damage in the shed as he can in the garage. He got good at opening hutch doors and letting rabbits play out with him and the other two:D:lol::lol::lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Little devil!!! I miss him :cry: :cry:
Sounds like he is having fun letting the other buns out :roll: :oops: :lol:

In my experience Penicillen injections are the best way of getting shot of an abscess. If it is on his face there is a risk of it attaching itself to the bone. I would see if you can get him on Penicillen as fast as poss. I lost 2 bunnies to abscesses. I hate them. Lots of vibes for you and bun xxxxxxxx

Yes I've used Manuka Honey before, though I can't honestly say if it really helped or not as the bunny was very poorly at the time, so it was just another option to try really as we were getting desperate - we adopted him with the most awful teeth. But have to say would use it again if I felt it was needed, it's not going to do any harm, but it has to be Manuka Honey.

Good Luck!

I used mankuna (or whatever:oops:) honey twice before. I don't know if it worked, but both were bad abscesses & both buns turned out ok, so me happy:D

My vet will be in in the morning for a couple of hours so I am going to take him in. I have just been bathing it and getting some more puss out and found 3 more abcesses:cry:. so I have opened them and started draining them too

Hope the wee rabbit is okay.My guinea pig is proneish to abcesses.She has had hers done a few times at the vet but now where the skin is slightly weaker it tends to burst and and i clean it all up and keep it drained myself and give her meds :)too.What is it you do with the honey?I could try this on my wee guinea pig.Let us know how the wee bunny gets on at the vets.

Poor little man :( Give him a cuddle from me. I still have designs on him.

When our cat had an abcess on his back I used the savlon antiseptic spray on it after I had got the pus out. Not sure if this advisable on bunnies tho.

Sending lots of love,
Vanessa xx

oh no! hes ssoo cute and let me cuddle him depsite being v. timid! hes so gorgeous..i hope hes ok when i go t o see him tonight:(

Unfortunately he as gone to the bridge as the abcessess were tracking really fast, as of this morning he had a total of 11 on his body and he was not happy in himself:cry::cry:

Unfortunately he as gone to the bridge as the abcessess were tracking really fast, as of this morning he had a total of 11 on his body and he was not happy in himself:cry::cry:

Oh Kay im so so sorry, Poor little one binky free. Hugs to you Kay I know you would have done all you could xxx

Back