• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay and straw

CLAREM1

Warren Scout
Hi All

Does anybody get there Hay from dustfreehay.co.uk how long does a large bale of hay last (for two rabbits) and is the best one to go for Meadow Hay or American Timothy (English Timothy has run out) and are their prices good or not or can you get good quality stuff cheaper elsewhere??

Do I need straw as well as Hay for bedding?

What does everybody keep theres in so it stays fresh?

this is prob best in rabbit chat you will get more responses, i get hay which is meadow hay and i use straw and hay for bedding my two eat grass almost 24/7 in garden (in run after gets darker)they eat less hay but do enjoy cewing sticks i think the more grass they eat the less hay they need. they dont seem to like the timothy hay from pah but liked the excel herbage forage or what ever it is!!the hay in a large bag i get from my local pet shop who doesnt sell animals, its around 3quid a bag and lasts me a few weeks for 2.x

I have a local non livestock selling pet shop near me, they sell hay by the bale at £6 a bale, it is good quality stuff, the bale I got on Monday is probably the best one I have ever had and it is really green. They hay is usually good, this bale is exceptional.

He gets his bales from a farm somewhere in Surrey.

With regard to how long does a bale of hay last, I am not sure which way you want this answered. A bale will last as long as it does dependent on how many animals you have OR it will last as long as it is kept dry. Hay is cut once a year by farmers and the stuff we buy now is 9 months old or even older. If you have storage for a bale it is worth the investment as it wont go off.

i dont use straw as could poke them in their eyes. i use ordinary hay from the garden centre/pet shop then i get meadow grass hay for a handful every day for harley to chomp on

Hi All

Does anybody get there Hay from dustfreehay.co.uk how long does a large bale of hay last (for two rabbits) and is the best one to go for Meadow Hay or American Timothy (English Timothy has run out) and are their prices good or not or can you get good quality stuff cheaper elsewhere??

Do I need straw as well as Hay for bedding?

What does everybody keep theres in so it stays fresh?

I got 2 of the large bales of their normal stalky hay last month. My four buns love it and they eat every last piece! One of their big bales is going to last me 6 weeks, so i'd say that a big bale will probably last you about 12 weeks for 2 bunnies.

I dont know where you are from, but it is obviously a lot cheaper to go and collect it youself than get it delivered. The small bales are £3 and the large ones £18 if you collect. :)

I got 2 of the large bales of their normal stalky hay last month. My four buns love it and they eat every last piece! One of their big bales is going to last me 6 weeks, so i'd say that a big bale will probably last you about 12 weeks for 2 bunnies.

I dont know where you are from, but it is obviously a lot cheaper to go and collect it youself than get it delivered. The small bales are £3 and the large ones £18 if you collect. :)

Hi I'm derbyshire not sure where they are but sounds a good idea if they are close by:)

I have a local non livestock selling pet shop near me, they sell hay by the bale at £6 a bale, it is good quality stuff, the bale I got on Monday is probably the best one I have ever had and it is really green. They hay is usually good, this bale is exceptional.

He gets his bales from a farm somewhere in Surrey.

With regard to how long does a bale of hay last, I am not sure which way you want this answered. A bale will last as long as it does dependent on how many animals you have OR it will last as long as it is kept dry. Hay is cut once a year by farmers and the stuff we buy now is 9 months old or even older. If you have storage for a bale it is worth the investment as it wont go off.

Yes I meant how to keep it dry etc suppose I can just put it in the shed! :D

I use the dustfreehay and straw. I only use the straw in winter to give them a bit of extra bedding in their hutches, but they never use it!
We live in Lincolnshire, so very farmy, but the bunnies don't eat as much of any other hay. I tried them on three different types, which they ate, but they much prefer the dustfree stuff. They dive into it!
I have 5 buns and get through 10 bales about every 5-6 weeks, adn I just store it in the garage.

Hi I'm derbyshire not sure where they are but sounds a good idea if they are close by:)

Dustfreehay is in Derbyshire too. Here is the address:

Lunnun T&S Ltd. Eaton Croft, Upwoods Road, Doveridge, Derbyshire. DE6 5LL. Tel - 01889-563390

I have just ordered another bale from dustfree today. I ordered the large single bale, for £26.99, and it last me about 2 months during the winter, (as they have more for bedding) and 3 months during the summer, with 4 buns. I have driven around the farms and farm shops in my area, and no one seems to want to sell it per bale. If anyone knows of a farm in the Sutton Coldfield/Staffs area that does, please let me know!

Until then I will continue to use dust free, and the buns do love it. I store my hay left in its opened hessian sack in a plastic water butt with a lid, that I got new from a seller on ebay for £10. It doesn't sweat and it keeps it dry, and stops it from blowing around in the wind and you ending up with that mad farmer look with hay sticking out of you hair...........

Back