• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vhd Jab

biscuitblossom

Warren Veteran
Hi everyone....I just wondered if anyone knew whether the vhd jab makes bunnys feel off coulour afterwards?

Billy had his yesterday and he just seems a bit out of sorts this morning .....can't say I've ever noticed it with other bunnies but hes such a skitty,happy fellow maybe thats why I have with him.

It affects buns differently. My female Willow was fine, but her partner Bluebell is always a bit quite for a day or so. Just keep an eye on you bun, no doubt they'll be fine. If it gets any worse give your vet a call to put your mind at rest.

Yeah it can make them a bit off colour for a few days. As long as he is eating and drinking then there is no need to worry. If he develops a limp or has a chemical reaction on the skin where the jab went in, then you need to report that to the vets as they will report it to manufacturer. Poor old Billy, he should be feeling as bright as a button in a few days! x

Thanks!...did you know what they inject can be fatal to humans????...the vet told me that yesterday,she was being very careful...lol

Thanks!...did you know what they inject can be fatal to humans????...the vet told me that yesterday,she was being very careful...lol

goodness i dint know that:shock: mine are going in for theres later today. hoping they will be ok afterwards this is thier first time with me although their prev owners said they did get vaccs hmm still i wasnt convinced considering they left them in the shed in thier hutch and didnt really let them out or anything.so hoping they will be ok.
does anyone know if the vaccs is live and if it can make an un vaccs bunny ill if they go near the vaccs bun? chelsea has been vaccs but her next one is due end of month and we are planning on staying at mums tommorrow for long weekend buns coming too but dont want to make chelsea ill? they wont be together but wil be able to sniff through the fence.

goodness i dint know that:shock: mine are going in for theres later today. hoping they will be ok afterwards this is thier first time with me although their prev owners said they did get vaccs hmm still i wasnt convinced considering they left them in the shed in thier hutch and didnt really let them out or anything.so hoping they will be ok.
does anyone know if the vaccs is live and if it can make an un vaccs bunny ill if they go near the vaccs bun? chelsea has been vaccs but her next one is due end of month and we are planning on staying at mums tommorrow for long weekend buns coming too but dont want to make chelsea ill? they wont be together but wil be able to sniff through the fence.

Well the vet didnt mention anything to me about them being a risk to other buns and she knows ive got one that hasn't got immunisation yet (Jack) cos I took him with me yesterday for his myxo jab.....I can only presume its not a risk.

Our vet is very careful with VHD. I don't know quite what it does (maybe gives you VHD?) but she said any bit of you that is accidentally injected has to be amputated!!!

Had mine done yesterday....I think I was more nervous than her.

The vaccine is dead so can't cuase problems with other buns or cause VHD. It can give a limp or scab. If you notice a limp or any other serious symptoms report them to the vet & they may ask you to come in again.

I have to say Billy seems a bit brighter this evening ,still not as active as usual and more cuddly too but not hiding away like he was before.

Thanks for the replies peeps!

Last edited:
one of mine went a bit sad, but has picked up now. The other one has chewed his neck and pulled loads of hair out! Have kept it clean etc but I couldn't believe how quick he pulled it all out :shock:

There are a few medications used in animals, that are fatal to humans. Our rabbits often get "micotil", which is an antibiotic (not licenced in rabbits) and it can also be fatal.

Back