• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

i feel evil

Emerlee

Warren Scout
miffy and the 2 guinea pigs have been living together for a longlong time (since we got them off my mums friend ) and they were the best of friends, they snuggled next to each other and groomed each other etc etc, but today i split them up because i heard about the different diets. i feel really mean because i've split up really good friends. have i done the right thing? :cry:

I take it Miffy is a bun? Its not just the diet, one kick from a rabbit can kill a piggy :cry:

I think you did the right thing - can you get Miffy a friend?

animals move on really well (better than us humans)... once the pals are replaced im sure youll be forgiven :D

Yes Miffy is a bun, but i've tried bonding her with my other buns and she just hates them. So she gets more human attention than the others because shes lonely.

hi, lancashire person. :)

Could you tell us a bit more about Miffy's history. Is she spayed, what bun did you try and bond her with and how did you do it etc. We might be able to offer some ideas.

I think you did the right thing - they might miss their companions for a while but its better than the risk of the bunny kicking the pigs and injuring them. she may yet bond with another rabbit, sometimes it takes time.

What a dilemma for you.
You have made a decision based upon the information and experience available to you. This same information and experience is available to many, some may be unable to do what you have done.
I only have information from experience of users here, and feel you have made the 'right' decision, a very difficult one.
Well done!

Truthfully and i know i go against what a lot of other people say,but if they have lived together happily all this time why split them up?Just make sure the guinea pigs get their proper diet,they eat the same fruit and veg.I think it's sad the rabbits gonna hear the guinea pigs chatting etc and not see them.Why don't you even let them play together?That's just my view i know and it's because i've had rabbits and guinea pigs together.If you decide not to put them back together try a wee toy in with the rabbit.I did this when i first got mine until he went in with the others,so he wouldn't be so lonely and he cuddled into it.Just keep an eye the bunny doesn't chew.

Another less well known reason for not keeping rabbits and GPs together is that many rabbits carry the bacteria Bordetella in their RTs.

Whilst this rarely ever causes rabbits issues it is very serious in GPs.

Also its not just Rabbits injuring GPs, I've seen the results of the rabbit being on the receiving end!

My piggies and bunnies have lived happily together before :) I fed them seperatley so they got the correct food BUT they did have a large space to get away from each other and lots and lots of hidey holes :)
ETA on saying that i used to have a bunny who lives near the pigs and not with them and teh pigs caught bordatella off her

thanks you guys :)

well miffy isnt spayed because we dont have enough money, its nearlly £80 at the vets in town. i tried to bond her with roxy. they took a lot of interest in each other when miffy played out because she'd go to roxy's hutch and she sniff her through the wire but they were completely different out of the hutches, miffy chased her and bit roxy's fur out, it was REALLY scary & my sister was screaming. i dont really know why she did it but she did the exact same thing with ebony when we had her.

Is Roxy another rabbit?As she isn't spayed she will more than likely play out with the other 'rabbit'.Sheesh eighty pounds is a lot of money!Why don't you even let her play with the guinea pigs and separate them at night.I know what everyone is saying but if they were going to pass anyting on to each other they would have surely before now and they got on together all the time before.All the best whatever happens.

It can be difficult to bond two female rabbits...I tried with mine and exactly the same happened, a massive fight with fur flying. do you have a neutered male male rabbit you could pair her with?

It might be worth having a look around for a cheaper vet too as female rabbits are at a nigh risk of uterine cancer if they're not spayed. £80 is expensive though! At my local vet its more like £50-60. good luck with Miffy whatever you decide :)

Yeah Roxy is another rabbit. And no, i dont have a neutered male, i could see if theres any local rescues around and see if they do, i'm sure she'd love a hubby :)

Thanks <3

The agression may be due to her not being spayed and being hormonal. :) Try only handling her when she's not in her home/cage for a while and see if that helps as female rabbits can be rather territorial.

Yeah Roxy is another rabbit. And no, i dont have a neutered male, i could see if theres any local rescues around and see if they do, i'm sure she'd love a hubby :)

Thanks <3

that would be nice for her. :) check your budget before you take another one on though, I recently added up how much my three cost me to maintain and i was absolutely appalled! wretched animals :lol:

Back